The Samovar

Azerbaijan. Question.

Duck - 1/20/2008 at 12:17

Hello!

I have here such stamps of Azerbaijan, Voihansky writes, that it is the first circulation, with shading a background.

A question: And what for a stamp (on the right above) with shading a background and corners around of a stamp? These are tests? What it for stamps? At Voihansky they are not mentioned by... :sniffle:

Thanks!

Duck - 2/20/2008 at 06:09

It is more than 60 viewings a theme!
Both anybody and knows nothing about "corners" around of a stamp???
No versions are present?

Jeff - 2/20/2008 at 20:03

Although I am struggling with exactly what the questions are here, if you click on the image in the first posting, you will be sent to a site where you can see them enlarged. This may help visitors better understand the questions (I Hope).

Unhinged - 2/20/2008 at 23:08

I think the question here is:

What do you make of the markings in the upper left and lower right on the stamp in the upper right of the 4?

These look like some kind of alignment markings to me, though I admit I know nothing about how these may have been printed.

So, the question is, what are these, and do they have any meaning? Do they signify a fake? Are they printer's marks that may add collecting value? Etc.

One more note, if you want to look really closely, you can click on the image you get after clicking on the image in the original post. It gets a whole lot bigger.

Perhaps a flyspecker out there can come up with something? I sure can't.

Unhinged - 2/20/2008 at 23:22

Sorry, I missed the other corner points. If you look closely in the really big version, the upper right and lower left also have faint corner positioning marks. It doesn't change the question, but adds more detail.

What are they and why are they there, but not in any of the others?

Dr. Ray Ceresa - 3/7/2008 at 09:19

In the past, about 3 years ago, I had two complete sheets with no corner markings. I also had a block of four with corner markings at each corner -16 in total on the block, as well as several singles. These markings are as a rule a guide to the laying out of the plate on the stone. Sometimes they are left throughout the period of stamp production and at others they are removed after the first trial printing. My block of four corresponded to the bottom right corner of the sheet. My thinking is that after printing a few sheets as controls the marks were removed. So the stamps can be considered to be proofs. However, the fly in the ointment, is that all my copies with 'grid lines', like the one illustrated by the questioner, are less clear prints that the issue with a green background which does ot tie in with proof concept!

Duck - 3/14/2008 at 10:30

Doctor Ray, thanks for the answer!

If corners on the given stamps cleaned how to explain it???

]

From all huge quantity виденных me of stamps - such I have met for the first time! Unfortunately, I do not have full sheets of these stamps.
If someone has them, look, whether there are these corners on stamps WITHOUT SHADING in a background.
Thanks!

Dr. Ray Ceresa - 4/25/2009 at 07:18

I was recently sent a part sheet, 7 x5 from bottom right corner, with green wash )(no shading as issued) and most positions still showed parts of corner markings, (worn away in successive printings!) , sent for an opinion. The stamp designs still match up well with the early printings with shading so I believe the original stone continued in use.

Dr. Ray Ceresa - 4/25/2009 at 07:28

Fly-specking in General. Although many collectors dismiss this , it does have use in identifying genuine stamps. Thus the forgeries on North Ingermanland 10 k all have a small blue marking in top right corner of shield which is not present on any of the genuine stamps of this value. Residue of transfer markings again help to identify genuine, i.e. the small markings (not all positions the same) in FER issues of Siberia and kopeck values of NW Army, a small line or part line between central letters, etc.,etc. Fly specs on Imperial Arms stamps can identify plate positions which should then match up with known overprint plate positions. Today's fly specs may well become essential for identifying later overprints on post 1923 issues.

Maxime Citerne - 4/24/2010 at 12:13

Thank you Dr Ray Ceresa for pointing out this important subject of philately, Fly-specking.

Regarding Zemstvo (rural) philately, identifying constant plate flaws can equally be important to identify genuine Zemstvo stamps (which can be a very difficult task), as well as to help identifying seperate printings of similar designs.

There are still many discoveries to be made, an exciting area of research on its own!

Maxime

ps: sorry for being slightly off-topic