The Samovar

Central Telegraph plate varieties

oldteddy - 11/19/2008 at 22:20

Soloviebv catalog lists TWO plate varieties for Scott #436 (with WM "carpet") - he calls them "Moon" and "Staircase", but he doesn't show them. Standard-Collection doesn't list them and I do not have Lyapin. Could anybody show them here?

GregMirsky - 11/20/2008 at 03:30

I was looking for them for number of years, but never sow actual stamps. "Moon" variety looks like large circle in the sky on the right side of the telegraph building.

davpot - 4/26/2009 at 09:12

Wouldnt you know Id see this very topic in the "flyspecker" blog! Ive posted what I believe to be a "moon" variety on the general forum! If anyone knows how to move the post please feel free, otherwise I will repost.
Dave
PS. This was sitting in an old album when I visited the Oregon stamp Society on collectors day. I have to say, I was certainly surprised and pleased.

russmoonrub.jpg - 229kB

jlechtanski - 4/26/2009 at 18:54

Congratulations - a nice find.

Liapin does not list it. The Soloviev has a cryptic /94-я м.ч.т./ -- which I assume is the position on the sheet.

If I am not mistake, you can delete your original posting yourself. As part of the EDIT button you can check "Delete This Message."

GregMirsky - 4/27/2009 at 00:20

I hate to spoil celebration, but....
I digged through my archives and found original (and probably the only one to the best of my knowledge) reference. There was an article in Filatelia SSSR , #1, 1971, page 9-11. A. Skrilev, "Rastri and Raznovidnosti Marok" (Screens and Stamp Varieties). See illustration below and corresponding text from the article. Broken step (stamp on the left) looks like a line (45 deg.) from the main entrance,

"Moon variety" (stamp on the right) has a large light circle under "CC" of "CCCP" touching the building.

TelegraphMoonAndBrokenStep0.JPG - 306kB

GregMirsky - 4/27/2009 at 00:21

Here is related text from the article.

TelegraphMoonAndBrokenStep01.JPG - 130kB

davpot - 4/28/2009 at 23:56

Hey greg: So what does that make my stamp? Is it a consistent error? or just a flaw? I call it a "planet" stamp!
Dave :hair

GregMirsky - 4/29/2009 at 00:53

Dave,

It may be EFO or some other variety we don't know about, but it is definitely not what is described in literature and mentioned in several catalogs as a "Moon" variety.

Let's try to find another one like yours and may be we will all learn something new. You never know...

GregMirsky - 5/19/2009 at 18:22

I just received from fellow Rossica member (THANK YOU, YURY!) a scan of a very nice copy of the "broken step" variety of this stamp. See attached stamp and zoom.

1RubTelegraphSteps.jpg - 242kB

GregMirsky - 5/19/2009 at 20:17

Here is the zoom picture of the variety

1RubTelegraphStepsDetails.jpg - 78kB