The Samovar

Brender revisited

kiompie - 8/5/2003 at 19:43

If I remember correctly, these covers have already been discussed here, though not conclusively.
Since I find these covers tremendously intriguing, I would like to reopen the discussion and request input from our membership.

The 'mystery' about these covers is the true identity of Mr Brender and his organisation.
All I know so far is the obvious: The letters are addressed to Mr Brender's Central Help Committee in Berlin, an organisation that I believe provided financial/material help to Jewish people in the Ukraine.
Why the Ukraine? All covers I have seen so far were sent from the Ukraine and there were terrible pogroms against the Jewish people there between 1918-1921.

Below, you will find two examples of these covers. The first one has a hand-written address and the name of the sender, a Mr Fuerelmann.
The second cover has a preprinted address and no return address. Both covers were sent from the Ukraine in 1923.

Jeff - 4/9/2004 at 22:22

Kiompe,

Have you found out anything more on our good Dr. Brender? I wonder if his records may have been destroyed during the WW II?

Jeff

kiompie - 4/14/2004 at 18:39

Jeff, sadly I have not progressed one inch towards uncovering our esteemed Dr. Brender from the debris of history. Also, I am in the process of relocating to France (sometime in June-July) and that leaves me very little time to do research.
When I am all set up in France, I shall give it another try and activate some contacts.