The Samovar

Help with postmarks please

jimjamtwo - 5/4/2014 at 19:25

Is anyone able to identify any of the following postmarks, all of which have me stumped.

The first one seems to be a Finnish small town single line cancel. Does anyone know what it is?

The second one is "PERNO /" but in this case I'm wondering what came after the "/".

Is the third one SAINT PETERSBURG, perhaps? I don't read Cyrillic, so I'm just guessing that it would fit.

Thanks for looking!

RUSSIA1.jpg - 393kB RUSSIA2.jpg - 395kB RUSSIA3.jpg - 398kB

Unhinged - 5/5/2014 at 09:03

The third one is Lodz, in Poland.

jimjamtwo - 5/5/2014 at 18:30

Thanks, Unhinged. There's quite a few letters, though, so I'm guessing that it's Lodz (something).

Unhinged - 5/6/2014 at 06:12

The second part is Tsentr., which is an abbreviation meaning Central. The next letter is a P, so it probably has something to do with Pochta, the Post, though I can't make out the next letter. It looks like an E, though, so perhaps someone else has a better idea.

jimjamtwo - 5/6/2014 at 07:45

Thanks, Unhinged!

tarnowg - 5/6/2014 at 08:02

The first stamp does indeed have a straightline cancel of a postal facility in Finland. Unfortunately not being at all familiar with Russian Finland I cannot provide any further information. The second cancel is from Pernov, today Parnu in Estonia. The third cancel is indeed Lodz in Poland. The cancel reads Лодзъ Центр Петрок - Lodz Central Piotrkow. Lodz was a significant town in the Piotrkow gubernia of Russian Poland, and the cancel is from the post office in the town center.

jimjamtwo - 5/7/2014 at 00:57

Thanks, for the help tarnowg!

I haven't been able to find mention on the internet of a locality called ANG (?) in Finland today, but there's always a possibility that it doesn't exist anymore, or that it was located in Eastern Karelia, in which case I suppose it would have a Russian name today.

Unhinged - 5/7/2014 at 04:00

Don't forget that the A has an umlaut, and that there appears to be a period at the end. The A is probably Aa or Ae, and the whole thing is probably an abbreviation.

jimjamtwo - 4/3/2016 at 22:02

I'm still struggling with my Russian postmarks! Can anyone tell me what this one is? (It appears to read БѣПЪЧЪ but I get no results from Google with that entry.)

David Jay - 4/4/2016 at 00:38

Beltsi, in Bessarabia

jimjamtwo - 4/4/2016 at 09:02

Thanks, David - although I did think the third letter was a P, so I'm surprised.