The Samovar

Stamp dealers in Russia & Latvia 1914 - 30

verny - 11/14/2016 at 17:31

I have over the years been picking up correspondence from and to stamp dealers in Russia and Latvia between the 1880's and the 1930's. I have quite a lot of information on dealers up to 1914 but from 1914-1930 the available information starts to get a bit sparse. In Russia of course the state nominally took over the selling of stamps from the early 1920's but this was facilitated by existing dealers. However independent dealers were still operating up until around 1921 but digging out information is a long and tortuous process.
Does anyone know if such information has been collated in the past and if so where can I find it.

Alep - 12/1/2016 at 15:06

The same I posted about the Russian philatelists concerns also the dealers. There were some private dealers also in the Soviat Russia during the NEP. I remember e.g. such names as Pyotr Shchapov from Russia or Halfan from Petrograd. There was also the well-known Vladimir (Voldemar) Tarasov from Arkhangelsk etc.
As to Latvia, I can mention George Jaeger (Jegers) from Liepaja or Solman(is) from Riga. By the way, the first published a journal "Der Baltische Philatelist" where one can find also other names. Probably, it is stored at the Rossica library but I do not know.

red1999 - 5/2/2017 at 08:59

probably also this guy (see atachment)

Attachment: phprdkwAX (136kB)
This file has been downloaded 59 times

verny - 7/7/2017 at 06:20

Thank you gentlemen. Life has interrupted my philately lately but I will keep you all posted.