The Samovar

Classification of the Poezd and Pochta marks

David Jay - 8/24/2017 at 01:32

Below is a pdf with a revised version of Ian Baillie's 1991 table from BSRP,
repeated in the B&P St Petersburg handbook. This version is based on about twice as many examples as the original. The changes are:
1) The original version showed two different A2 cancels but no A1, even though A1 marks were discussed in the text. I assume this was an error.
2) The 6 Poezd has been moved to Series C. Dobin (2004) suggests that there should be a B6 mark used in Pavlovsk in 1871, but no examples have been illustrated in the literature. I have suggested, therefore, that this
variety "May Exist."
3) The possible existence of a C5 mark has been recognized. This is not a mark that Dobin recognizes, but Baillie (1991) lists a possible example of C5 from his collection, as the very last item in his list of unclassified examples.

Overall, there are many more marks available in Series D through G than previously, and more overall. Certain marks remain very elusive, including all of the 9 or so types of series A marks (trains 1 to 3 each with various times), C6, D5, E4, E5 and C5, if it exists.

I am assembling a listing in the form of an Excel table of all known marks. To date, the table includes data from Baillie (1991), B&P (2001), Dobin (1984) and 2004), the Laveroni collection (which I recently purchased and visible in the Rossica virtual gallery), the Bergholm collection (see the WSRP web pages), my own collection, and miscellaneous other sources. The total number of marks listed is >350. It is evident that the Baillie classification is not fully compatible with Dobin's (2004) classification. In particular, Series A and B need elaboration, following Dobin, to recognize that different Ax and Bx marks were applied in different locations. Those examples applied in locations other than St Petersburg are generally much scarcer (especially in Series B) than those applied in St Petersburg, and I have not found examples of a number of the marks listed by Dobin (2004). Series C marks may also need sub-types.

I would be very happy to receive scans of items possessed by other Rossica members. Once I have compiled the information, I will post Excel files with the results. My email is djay@pdx.edu. Alternatively, posting the material on the Samovar would be good.

Attachment: StPet LocalRR_SummaryTable_withImages.pdf (393kB)
This file has been downloaded 10 times