The Samovar

TPO without Number

David Jay - 2/28/2018 at 01:57

This card was send 18 August 18 August 1893 to Libau (arriving 19 August) via Riga and an un-numbered TPO. The canceller looks like it was run over by a carriage while on its side, leaving a considerable flat spot at left. At the top it says "Pocht Vagon". at the bottom I think is says: "Livensk-Yzkokol Zh. D." There are diamonds at the side but no serial. This interpretation is helped out by similar cancels (without the dented rim) from 1890 on a block of four 7k and on a strip of three. This is the only cancel I have seen with the RR named at the bottom rather than the TPO start and finish. The only listing in K&R that seems relevant is "Livne-Verkhove". The message side provides little help -- it appears to be in Yiddish script, and unintelligible to me.

Has anyone seen another example?

Attachment: Libava_to.pdf (155kB)
This file has been downloaded 65 times

IvoSteijn - 3/1/2018 at 20:26

If I'm not mistaken, the "Uzkokol.Zh.D." translates as "narrow gauge railway".

David Jay - 3/2/2018 at 01:03

Ivo -- thank you. That suggests Libava-Gazenpot, which is a narrow gauge RR, and the letter is to Libava. But it is hard to see whether the first word is "Livensk" or "Libavsk" -- the first looks a little more likely, but the canceller is pretty beat up.

IvoSteijn - 3/4/2018 at 18:28

It's "Livensk". The postmark is listed in the K&R book on Railway postmarks on page 143.

David Jay - 3/4/2018 at 23:24

Indeed -- thank you. In a much less beat up state! What a difference three years make.

IvoSteijn - 3/4/2018 at 23:29

Must have been a bumpy train!