Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Batraki
achlenov
Banned

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11/25/2005 at 13:20
Batraki

Here is an example of a fake Postmaster Provisional overprint. As is often the case the forger had no idea what he was doing:P Genuine is on the left, fake on the right

Batraki.jpg - 88kB
Gary
Deceased

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11/25/2005 at 18:03

You are probably correct and I am not challenging that, but I must ask how did you determine the one on the left is genuine? I'm sure it is some philatelic reference that I do not have or have but cannot remember what it is or where it is. I have yet to figure out how to make such decisions on loose stamps.

Cheers:(
achlenov
Banned

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11/26/2005 at 12:37

Well, several reasons, the genuine one is on piece, the back suggests it is part of the postal form; it has a part of readable cancellation (Simbirskaja gubernia), the handwriting matches one illustrated in Ceresa's book and Michel catalog, there is a piece of the second stamp on top, ink penetration suggests proper ink was used and lastly it is expertized by Lissjuk and Dr.P.Je(mchouzhin).

Fake one has more writing then it should, the ball pen (?) was used, handwriting is different, obviously no expert marks on the back. These stamps also are much rare unused...

Go To Top