Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Scott 150
cec71
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3/20/2006 at 12:43
Scott 150

Stamp not perforated bottom edge. Is this a bottom sheet faintail?

70K.jpg - 15kB
GregMirsky
Rossica Librarian

Mood: Still Optimistic...

[*] posted on 5/2/2006 at 15:27

No, it is not. Bottom margin is much wider (may be 0.5~1" or so at least). Somebody just cut bottom perforation out to look like fantail. There are multiple "fantails" of this type made from oversized stamps.
brenderwho
Czarist

Mood: oksmile

[*] posted on 5/2/2006 at 21:08
then how does one....

Quote:
Originally posted by GregMirsky
No, it is not. Bottom margin is much wider (may be 0.5~1" or so at least). Somebody just cut bottom perforation out to look like fantail. There are multiple "fantails" of this type made from oversized stamps.

Greg
How do we novices then obtain "real" fantails and not the snip-snip kind?

I've always had the feeling that all fantails "maybe" fake but would we use the selvage size as a guide?
And where do we get this info if we do not have full sheets?
I realize there are many listed real fantails in literature, but just how do we determine this??
Thanks
raritanstamps
Collective Farmer

Mood: Always busy

[*] posted on 5/3/2006 at 20:42

Very interesting question. First of all, you are absolutely right, quite detailed information about fantails and imperf between is listed in Russian Specialized catalogues such as Liapine, Standard Collection, Soloviev, Petrov and etc, some of such errors are listed even in Scott (#987a, B10a, C37a, C38a and etc.). I guess, you understand that stamps imperf at the top or bottom, left or right, imperf between vertically or horizontally are different perforation errors.
About size of imperf margin, this is very important characteristic, wide margin is proving that an error was not cut from stamp with perforation shift. Most (not all) these perforation errors exist on stamps having linear perforation. For this type of perforation is typical perf shifts and even misperf. Sometimes these errors exist on stamps with comb perforation, well-known imperf at the top of "Sword Breaking Chain" of 70k brown, less known the similar (at the top) fantail on 35k blue, and much-much less - fantail at the bottom on 70k of this issue.
Another point is fantail or even imperf between on stamps, which were officially issued not only perforated, but imperforated too. In this case, even experienced collector feels not comfortable. However, not always fantails or imperf between privately made from imperforated stamps, for example, various perf errors on Agriculture Exhibition set of 1923, ice-breaker "Malygin" 30k violet, latest Imperial stamps issued in Soviet period (Scott #137-38 and 87g) and some others. But in cases of fantails or imperf between, when imperf stamps were issued, I recommend expertization of responsible authority.
Finally, these perforation errors are very interesting field of Russian Philately, moreover, they are always popular and sometimes cost considerable money.
Yuriy,
Raritan Stamps, Inc.
brenderwho
Czarist

Mood: oksmile

[*] posted on 5/4/2006 at 10:59
Yalta "missperf"

Nice info, Thanks.
Also several of the journals have published lists.

Take for example the follwoing "yalta missperf".

http://cgi.ebay.com/Russia-USSR-Error-Missed-Perfr-RARE-1938...

Is it a true "misperf"?
Or an imperf that is Privately perfed?
Or is it a true fantail as a margin stamp?

Note stamp it is cancelled. Possible CTO????

I also look at who is "selling" such items and eliminate those "over zealous" sellers who are known to sell "fakes".

Any comments??
raritanstamps
Collective Farmer

Mood: Always busy

[*] posted on 5/4/2006 at 12:25

I do not agree about selling obvious fakes by this seller, his pricing policy sometimes is not completely clear. But selling/buying is agreement.

Very easy to make a mistake in opinion according to poor scan where details are not visible . We have most of the Russian Specialized catalogues, in all of them is listed bottom sheet margin fantail of this stamp. It does not mean that the stamp is bad, but it should be properly checked.
Yuriy
Raritan Stamps, Inc.
GregMirsky
Rossica Librarian

Mood: Still Optimistic...

[*] posted on 5/4/2006 at 13:22

I agree with Yuriy analysis. As I mentioned before I've seen also number of "fantails" with margin slightly larger than standard distance between two stamps in the sheet. Often they made from oversized stamps with shifted perforation. So, all these fantails with narrow margins are always questionable.

In the cases like this eBay lot - I usually recommend to request high resolution scan of the stamp (600 dpi or more) of front and back. Of cause - it is still not a real stamp and just an image, but it can give you better idea. If seller refuses to provide this type of image - it is your call "to bid or not to bid". Just recently I ran into several examples of the "fantails" where sheet margin was carefully glued to the regular stamp along border of the stamp. No problem to spot it with good light and a magnifier, but at the stamp show with bad lighting it can be different story...

Go To Top