Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Scott #1 Cancel Help!!
msmike
Major Philatelist

Mood: Hoping for a Long Spring

hairpull.gif posted on 8/16/2006 at 20:08
Scott #1 Cancel Help!!

I have the attached a scan of a used Scott #1. As you can see, it has a pen cancel, a black circular cancel and what appears to be a red line cancel. But .... the red cancel look strange to me. First, there is a dark red line at the bottom of the stamp. Second there is a fainter red line across the middle of the stamp. I have been trying to translate the red cancel and the best I have so far is possibly "Geni" or "Teni" or something close. The only town I can find that comes close to these letters is in the Ukraine called Genichesk but I cannot find an example of the postmark. Can anyone help me with this stamp? The red cancel might be an overprint and not even a cancel but I have never heard of this before.

Scott #1.jpg - 107kB
iceserpent
Czarist

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 8/16/2006 at 20:53

This looks like a cancel shown in "Russian postmarks" by Kiryushkin & Robinson on page 12 (fig. 40). That cancel has the same type of frame as yours, printed town name "DRUSKENNIKI" between the top and middle lines, and handwritten date (June 4th, 1858) between middle and bottom lines.
On your scan the town name is obviously different, but there is some violet ink visible above bottom line (I can't decipher it, although it seems to end with an "8") - might be the same type.
lam
Czarist

[*] posted on 8/19/2006 at 01:47

Druskeniki in some lists is written as "Druzgeniki" (Друзгеники;)
May be it will explain this cancel
jlechtanski

[*] posted on 8/19/2006 at 12:45

Dobin shows a boxed postmark as described in red existing in 1858 with ДРУЗГЕННИКИ in the upper half. Could the characters on the stamp be ГЕНН?

Go To Top