Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Scott #49 plate flaw
oldteddy
Major Philatelist

Mood: Perplexed

[*] posted on 8/20/2006 at 05:30
Scott #49 plate flaw

Lobachevsky in his catalog of Russian imperial stamps lists a plate flaw of 5-kop stamp of 1889-1902 issue (Scott #49) - a deformed frame. On the drawing provided in the catalog it looks like curved outside section. I run across a similar flaw, at exactly the same place where Lobachevsky noted it, but curved inside. Is it the same or a different variety?

5k-frame-flaw.jpg - 37kB
GregMirsky
Rossica Librarian

Mood: Still Optimistic...

[*] posted on 8/23/2006 at 01:06

Well you may be right and we are dealing here with another instance of "lost in translation..." and/or Lobachevsky error.

Unfortunately I've never seen this variety myself. There is no illustration in English version of Lobachevsky Catalog published by Rossica. The only available picture (similar to one you scanned) comes from the copy of the illustration in original Russian publication of this section of Lobachevsky catalog (Soviet Collectioner, #15, 1977, page 59). So, Russian original also does not have illustration of actual stamp, but instead it has a drawing where frame curved outside (on the left). Original Lobachevsky description (in Russian) says " 47Ka 5 kop., deformed external frame on the left at the level of letter "T" in "POCHTOVAYA". So, if you forget about picture drawing for a moment - even original description does not really say which direction it is bended (left or right).
May be one of the Rossica members has this variety with curve bended outside of the frame and can publish illustration for us here.

Go To Top