Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A long and winding road
ameis33
Major Philatelist

Mood: Not bad

[*] posted on 12/22/2006 at 15:23
A long and winding road

This is my Christmass Gift for this year. I've received it just today. Maybe Santa Claus has a lot of work, and he has begun anticipately.

A letter from Warszawa to Genova, sent the 17 march 1865 and arrived the 21 of the same month... Considering today a letter from Poland to Italy usualy takes almost 10 days, just four days is not a bad result...

Interesting for the destination, the path and the postmarks. But i still have to study it and to understand better what each postmark refer to.

First, the Warszawa red circular postmark. The letter has then be delivered to Germany. The "AUS POLEN ueber EISENB. POST-BUR. XI postmark" was normally used in the route Alexandrowo-Berlin.
From Germany, the letter has then be dispatched to Swiss, following the indication on the front cover "voie de Suisse".
The "GR. BAD. BAHNPOST" should refer to the Badischer Bahnhof in Germany (correct?), i don't know now exactly from where to where, i still have to study it, but it should connect Basel going to the north of Germany to Baden, something like...
From Basel the letter has been routed first to Olten ("Basel a Olten" postmark) and then to Como (how?). In Como, the 21 march the letter tooks then the train to Milan ("Como a Milano" and "MILANO" postmark). Finally, it was routed to the Sardinia state and Genova, where it arrived the same day ("ARRIVO GENOVA" red postmark).
A long and winding road...

But my vague and uncertain description was just a way to tell to all the members of the Rossica, to this forum, to the new elected staff, to all the ones i forgot

Merry Christmass and Happy New Year

B10 Fronte.jpg - 97kB
ameis33
Major Philatelist

Mood: Not bad

[*] posted on 12/22/2006 at 15:25
back side

B10 Retro.jpg - 87kB
Lacplesis
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12/23/2006 at 09:14

Yes, the "Badischer Bahnhof" is "in Germany" , somehow at least.
It is located in Basel/Switzerland but it is exteritorial and belongs (by contract) (together with the tracks up to Swiss/Baden border) to the Grand Duchy of Baden, since the Railrod of Baden build the station and connected it to it's net.
jlechtanski

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 12/23/2006 at 23:20

Very interesting cover. The backstamps suggest a railway journey something like Basel - Olten - Como - Milan - Genoa.

A nice rail map of Switerland on page 4 of this pdf file:

http://www.swisstravelsystem.ch/fileadmin/pdf/flyer-eusa-06....

Swiss rail runs to Chiasso and crosses the border to Como. But how much of this existed in 1865? Baderische Bahnhof and Olten existed then. Olten was built as a railway hub - but did it make it to the Italian border by 1865?

Go To Top