The Samovar
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A cover with a story to tell
Gary
Deceased
****




Posts: 2356
Registered: 10/18/2002
Location: USA
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1/7/2007 at 07:08
A cover with a story to tell


The item illustrated here is full of information for a wide variety of collecting interests. Let's briefly cover a few of them and invite follow on responses to expand the knowledge we have about it.

This is a registered cover as noted by the manuscript text zakaznoe, label and "R" in dotted circle. The franking totals 20 kop, which is correct, and used a 2-kop., a 3-kop., and a 15-kop. from the vertically-laid series of 1902-1905 (Scott numbers 56, 57, 62). The cover was posted on 10 December 1907 at the 15th GPO. No serials are noted.

List-cover-front.jpg - 168kB
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Gary
Deceased
****




Posts: 2356
Registered: 10/18/2002
Location: USA
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1/7/2007 at 07:09


The 15th Town Post Branch Office (gorodskoe pochtovoe otdelenie - GPO) opened in Moscow 1896-1897. We know it wasn't there "on the books" in 1895, but is in 1897. The 11th sub-office (otdel gorodskoi pochty) was collocated with the 15th. The address for the 15th/11th was on Bol'shaya Butyrka. (Number 1 on map - not actual location, but start of street name)

Butyrka-and-List-with-numbe.jpg - 123kB
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Gary
Deceased
****




Posts: 2356
Registered: 10/18/2002
Location: USA
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1/7/2007 at 07:11


In 1897, the German industrialist Gustav List opened the Butyrka Machine Building Factory of the Gustav List Joint-Stock Company in the Butyrka section of Moscow. It was located behind the Miussk. Cemetery with its main office on the Sofiiskaya naberezhnaya. (Number 2 on map and Company stationery) This factory produced the first Russian compressor in 1910.

List-stat-use.jpg - 92kB
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Gary
Deceased
****




Posts: 2356
Registered: 10/18/2002
Location: USA
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1/7/2007 at 07:18


The addressee and address offer a glimpse into history as well. The cover was sent to Louis Raeth in Colmar Alsace, Germany. Colmar was ceded to Prussia from France after the Franco-Prussian war and then annexed to France after WWI.

The List factory has been associated with the radical movements of the early 1920s in Russia. Today the Gustav List factory is called Borets.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
oldteddy
Major Philatelist
***




Posts: 378
Registered: 12/31/2002
Member Is Offline

Mood: Perplexed

[*] posted on 1/7/2007 at 15:38
More to the story...


Any idea why two imperial coats of arms on the company's stationery - dated 1882 and 1896?
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Gary
Deceased
****




Posts: 2356
Registered: 10/18/2002
Location: USA
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1/7/2007 at 16:25


I wonder why the 15th did not have or did not use a "R" registration label?
View user's profile View All Posts By User
venets
Major Philatelist
***




Posts: 58
Registered: 5/22/2003
Location: Russia
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 1/10/2007 at 01:50


Quote:
Оригинальное сообщение от oldteddy
Any idea why two imperial coats of arms on the company's stationery - dated 1882 and 1896?


Some information concerning two coats of arms (for this company) you can find in Russian on

http://www.stroi.ru/newspaper/1998/41_1998/41_13.asp
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Gary
Deceased
****




Posts: 2356
Registered: 10/18/2002
Location: USA
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

shocked.gif posted on 1/10/2007 at 08:48
translated using an Internet application


Ferenc List had a competitor Only a few turn attention to these bronze sculptures into the human increase - smelter and blacksmith, established almost ninety years ago on the pylons of the entrance gates of the former iron foundry, mechanical and Machine Building Plant of Gustav list, that on the the Sofia's of the naberezhenoy against The taynitskoy tower Moscow Kremlin. The authors contemporary guides do not illuminate the interesting biography of this oldest in Moscow industrial enterprise and its merit in the development of the fire matter not only in Moscow, but also in Russia, emphasizing only the "active participation of the workers of plant in the revolutionary movement". Not time whether the name of the respected citizen of Moscow Gustav Ivanovich list, devoted to oblivion, to return to that deserved by it place in the history of city?!

Began List its activity in Moscow with the discovery on 29 April, 1863, of jobbing shop (only 13 workers!) on the production of manual fire pipes (pumps), for which acquired in merchants Kotov the court on the Sofia's embankment (now house 12). No one unknown young engineer created this workshop after three years of the study of plant production in America and works then by mechanic at the sugar refinery in the Voronezh province, where he built in 1856 its first fire pipe and was equipped fire convoy for the extinguishing of fires in the territory of plant and in the environments.

As long ago as 1863 the fire pipes of the machine shop of List were honored the gold medal of Russian technical society. Subsequently, let us note, the reward list of Gustav Ivanovich himself and his plants became very imposing and it counted to 1914 almost six ten only highest rewards, and still there were thousands of thanksgiving addresses, letters and evidence from all corners of the world! But its so-called agricultural fire pipe of 1864 rapidly conquered reputation both in Moscow and beyond its limits.

The success of the fire pipes of List was so great that the soon workshop no longer could carry out all orders. Engineer decisively forewent the application of leather valves and pistons, after replacing with their copper, which ensured the minimum of repair necessary for the fire pipes and simplified care of them. The capacity of this pump became already to 11 buckets (135 liters) of water per minute.

Destructive fire, however, did not spare workshop on the Sofia's embankment, and in 1872 the large plant building, which reached us, where the firm "Gustav list" brought the production of fire pipes to 2000 pieces per year, was here built. In 1878 on the world exhibition in Paris the pumps of List were honored silver medal.

For List it was possible to make room other producers of domestic fire pipes and to become actually only supplier. Its firm obtained the right to depict the state coat of arms of the Russian Empire on its articles and signboards.

In 1890 the plant of firm in Moscow approached the production Russia's first steam fire pumps and up to 1913 was their sole producer. The sorokasil'nyy steam fire pump of List, reliable in the work and which ejects water jet with height 12 segenes (more than 38 it is meter), was accepted to the armament by military department. In 1896 on the articles of firm "Gustav list" appeared the second coat of arms of Russia, and in two more years after The butyrskoy gate entered the system new plant.

At the beginning of the First World War by the plants of the List, where it worked already to 1300 people, were released about 90 thousand fire pipes of different constructions with the annual production on the average of 3500 pieces. However, the founder of firm unexpectedly died on 17 February, 1913. The creation of List after 1917 arrived into the decline. The butyrskiy plant was called name "champion", and Sofia's - "red torch"...

Yuri Leont'yev
:)
View user's profile View All Posts By User

  Go To Top

Powered by XMB 1.9.11
XMB Forum Software © 2001-2011 The XMB Group
[Queries: 17]