The Samovar
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Any Rossica members exhibiting in St.Petersburg?
IvoSteijn
Major Philatelist

Mood: philatelic

[*] posted on 3/20/2007 at 10:44

Just heard that Ed Laveroni's exhibit has been accepted. Yay, Ed! And I believe Arnold Levin will be exhibiting mute cancellations. Great! Anyone else?
achlenov
Banned

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3/20/2007 at 20:26

I thought he said it was impossible because of the customs problems etc.

http://www.rossica.org/Samovar/viewthread.php?tid=1483
IvoSteijn
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 3/20/2007 at 21:23

Sorry, didn't see that as I'm not a Rossica member. Sounds like complete claptrap to me - in the history of FIP I don't think there's been a single exhibition with customs problems...
achlenov
Banned

[*] posted on 3/21/2007 at 00:38

One can always find a problem if there is no desire to do something ;)
tedim2
Major Philatelist

Mood: Volkodav

[*] posted on 3/21/2007 at 00:44

Russian Ministry of Culture or customs? I concede, no desire at all!
IvoSteijn
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 3/21/2007 at 10:49

I seem to recall similar prophecies of doom for the Moscow exhibition back in the 1990s, and that went off without a single problem.
tedim2
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 3/21/2007 at 17:28

Ivo you are probably right, but itís the paranoia that keeps nagging at the soul.
Like what is heavier? 100 pounds of feathers or 100 pounds of lead, we all now that the leads is just a little bit heavier.
IvoSteijn
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 3/21/2007 at 17:31

Haha, true!

But you can minimize the paranoia in a number of ways. For example, I will not send in my exhibit by mail - it's carried by the national commissioner, who also transports it back to the USA. Of course, I suppose someone could rob the commissioner at the airport, but most exhibiting committees have someone meet the commissioners at the airport and guide them past customs as well.

Trust me, I'm exhibiting there and I wouldn't send in my exhibit if I wasn't reasonably certain of getting it back!
tedim2
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 3/21/2007 at 17:36

What are you exhibiting?
IvoSteijn
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 3/21/2007 at 17:40

Prestamp mail to/from Russia via Prussia up to 1843. Its third outing after regional and national-level exhibitions. But a FIP-international is a much tougher arena - I'll be happy with anything over a Silver!
tedim2
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 3/21/2007 at 17:42

Great, I hope you will exhibit at the Pan-Slavic, that one I am attending, and no Iím not afraid of the gangsters.
IvoSteijn
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 3/21/2007 at 17:43

I'm definitely planning to. It's been 16 years since I last exhibited in Chicago, should be fun. With any luck, David Skipton will exhibit there - his exhibits are always a treat. And Ed Laveroni has some great exhibits too.
tedim2
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 3/21/2007 at 17:48

Some of the DC exhibits were very very interesting, I would say that only during these shows do you really get a feel for whatís out there.
I think soon it will be time for the M. clan to exhibit.
IvoSteijn
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 3/21/2007 at 17:54

Excellent! Looking forward to seeing you join the tragically small group of "Russia" exhibitors.
achlenov
Banned

[*] posted on 3/21/2007 at 18:42

Vesma Grinfields recommended starting a Baltic-related exhibits for BSPS members. We haven't decided on the venue yet, I guess we should start small... I don't know the first thing about exhibiting, let alone organising an exhibit, so any advice/mentorship would be highly appreciated!
IvoSteijn
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 3/21/2007 at 19:07

Vesma's an absolute champ when it comes to exhibiting. Her son is a qualified jury member for exhibits, I believe.
I'll see if I can put together a Beginner's Guide to Exhibiting.
achlenov
Banned

[*] posted on 3/21/2007 at 19:44

That would be awesome! Thanks, Ivo!!!
michalov
Czarist

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 3/22/2007 at 13:21

Hi, Ivo! Yes a beginner's guide to exhibiting would be great! By the way, another good resource is the new edition of Randy Neil's Philatelic Exhibitors' Handbook. This book is a good introduction as well as a guide for more experienced exhibitors.

Subway stamps bought the rights to the book, and they published a third edition, edited by Ada Prill, about a year ago. This may be old news to some, but I just got a copy today.

As a never-very-successful exhibitor who's many years out of date, I'll offer to help with whatever you're putting together.
Peter
achlenov
Banned

[*] posted on 3/22/2007 at 14:27

Thank you, Peter! I am thinking about WWI on the Eastern Front. How many frames does one start with, typically? My email: achlenov@yahoo.com Anatoly
verny
Major Philatelist

Mood: Bright & breezy

[*] posted on 3/22/2007 at 19:27

I have to say I share the concerns over taking Russian material in. A few years back I was involved in trying to get an exhibition off the ground in the Lenexpo centre in St.Petersburg and after having pretty much everything agreed it was canned due to disagreements over foreign exhibitors bringing in material (between customs and the city authorities) and over the issue of dealers/trade stands.
what also concerns me is that the Russian authorities have recently again been insisting on the old Soviet rules regarding "antiques" and items of "historical importance". A regular correspondent was recently "hauled over the coals"quite seriously for trying to send me 8 pre-1945 postcards.

The issue with the Russian authorities is always that if they change their minds their is nowt you can do -- look at the oil giants that had contracts in Sakhalin - all legal and drafted by expensive lawyers but when the government changes the rules and wants a bigger share- no choice - agree to our terms or lose everything. If Royal Dutch Shell, Yukos and BP cannot win against the Russian government then I do not rate the chances of FIP if it came to a dispute.

It is no more definite that there will be problems than not but I am not prepared to risk it.
achlenov
Banned

[*] posted on 3/22/2007 at 20:03

At the Rossica meeting in Washington, the representative of the Popov's museum announced that Russian Government is giving guarantees to foreign exhibitors. She was quite convinced that everything will go well. Who is the commisioner for the US at this show? Maybe we should ask him? After all, this is a very important question for Russian philatelists.
Jeff
Super Administrator

Mood: It's developing...

[*] posted on 3/22/2007 at 21:02

This is a quote from the US commissioner, I believe. His name is Ross Towle and you can reach him at rosstowle@yahoo.com:

"The St Petersburg 2007 "website" does not have the list of exhibitors. Only Russian dealers will be at the show unless some custom/tax issues can be worked out very quickly. No schedule of events has been published."
merlynd
Peasant

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 3/22/2007 at 22:26

I can offer a few words of experience about dealing with Russian customs in St. Petersburg over the past ten years and with one or two visits of several months per year. Personally, I would not take any stamp material in or out of Russia at the present time. As a geology professor married to a former Russian geology professor at St. P. State University, I can relate many bad experiences (and few good ones) with customs officials in trying to get geological materials (mostly limestone samples and microscope slides of rocks) through the airport with what was supposed to be absolutely proper documention. Sometimes it took days to get this documentation that was then accepted at the whim of the particular agent on duty at the time of departure. Often materials had to be left and taken on a later trip after resolving more problems. I wish those people taking stamp related material into StPB good luck and hope that they have no problems getting their material back with them.
tedim2
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 3/23/2007 at 00:04

I am sure that the geological materials were delayed, because they were created pre 1945. Russian geological materiel I am sure constitutes great historical importance and must carry proper documentation, or a bribe. Which ever is more convenient.

Also I am sure exhibitors will be able to re-purchase their exhibits later in their entirety from unnamed sources.
tedim2
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 3/26/2007 at 08:50

НУЖЕН ВАШ ГОЛОС!

В России действует закон О ВЫВОЗЕ И ВВОЗЕ КУЛЬТУРНЫХ ЦЕННОСТЕЙ. По нему все (!) предметы - марки (в т.ч. непочтовые!), монеты, боны, фотографии, открытки, предметы интерьера/быта, книги и т.д. - изготовленные более 100 лет назад ПОЛНОСТЬЮ запрещены к вывозу/пересылке из Российской Федерации. Предметы, изготовленные 50-100 лет назад можно вывозить только при наличии специального разрешения от Минкультуры.

Парадокс и абсурд данного закона - очевиден! Во всем цивилизованном мире СВОБОДНО пересылаютсяя за рубеж марки и т.д. В самом деле, марки - это собственность граждан. На каком основании кто-то из чиновников смеет указывать, что их нельзя высылать за рубеж?! Указывают, опираясь на свою ПОЛНУЮ неосведомленность в данном вопросе! Зачем спрашивать каких-то коллекционеров (читай - патриотов России!!) если можно запретить и все!

С момента основания СССР государство выпускало марки и продавало коллекционерам. Сейчас марки СССР выпущенные до 1955 года по данному закону - культурные ценности. Чтоб получить разрешение на их вывоз, надо обратиться в один из нескольких филиалов для оценки их исторического значения и стоимости. Наше "благодарное" государство (по сути продавшее нам эти марки и получившее прибыль;) возьмет процент от суммы оценки, если разрешит вывоз, а также в любом случае придется заплатить "независимому" эксперту за оценку.

За вывоз и пересылку культурных ценностей за рубеж без разрешения сегодня предусмотрена аж уголовная ответственность по статье 188 УК РФ (контрабанда;) и наказывается лишением свободы на срок до 8 (!!) лет. Даже во времена СССР не было уголовной ответственности. Причем людям в погонах до лампочки, что марки (подставь свое;) стоят часто 1-10 руб штука, что у них миллионные тиражи и т.д. - главное старше 50 лет и без разрешения! Если некоторые думают, что данная ответственность - шутка, то тот может легко и быстро найти через Яндекс сообщения о задержании того или иного "контрабандиста". Людям - нашим коллегам дают реальные сроки - по сути, ни за что!!

Когда иностранец просит прислать ему в обмен ранние марки СССР, России до 17 года и ты пишешь ему, что это запрещено - то он очень удивляется. Когда он просит посмотреть ранние марки его страны и прислать ему, а ты говоришь, что и это запрещено - то он удивляется еще больше. Парадокс в том, что в законе запрещены к вывозу даже предметы, выпущенные не на территории России...

==========
Я считаю, что нужно без ограничений разрешить свободный вывоз культурных ценностей принадлежащих гражданам на праве собственности.
К сожалению, Союз филателистов России показал себя в данном вопросе полным импотентом. Ни каких реальных действий по изменению данного закона вот уже более 12 лет - нет.

Завтра 6 июля 2006 года президент России Владимир Путин будет отвечать на вопросы пользователей интернета. Я задал вопрос по данной теме.

Я прошу всех читателей рассылки разделяющих мою точку зрения - проголосовать за вопрос. Если вопрос наберет 1000 и более голосов, то есть реальный шанс, что его передадут президенту. По крайней мере каждый из вас кто проголосует - может потом сказать, что он не был импотентом как некоторые, и сделал что мог...

Если закон будет изменен (или принят новый;) без текущего абсурда, то вероятно всего коллекционеры сидящие сейчас в тюрьмах и зонах за свое хобби могут быть отпущены досрочно.

Системой будет принят один голос с одного айпи адреса. Для пользователей диалапа (там айпи обычно динамические;) чтоб проголосовать более одного раза надо после каждого голосования отключатся от интернета и подключатся снова (будет новый айпи;).

ВОТ АДРЕС для голосования http://president.yandex.ru/question.xml?id=255120
По возможности перешлите адрес своим коллегам.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top