Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Far East Philatelic Exchange stamps
mvarfolo
Czarist

Mood: Zen

[*] posted on 4/24/2007 at 21:06
Far East Philatelic Exchange stamps

I hope to learn more on this very scarce issue from the wise and very helpful folks on this forum.

To recap the basic info for this set - five types are listed (Michel), This Mi V is mentioned with "auflage 75 stuck".
The one in my possession, if I correctly identified it, appears to be postally used, i.e. "no price". No gum, look like it was washed off paper -as was the rest of that particular collection it was a part of...
Forgeries are not known (?)

Any additional information would be appreciated. Has anyone written an article anywhere in any language about these?

As an aside, fascinating thing about catalog prices. here's something incredibly obscure and priced at 800 euros unused; and compare with Lenin block 11 imperforated , 50000 issued, is listed at the same price if MNH and sells for a more lately. go figure. Well, of course, it's Lenin, main line of official issues, etc. still...

img011.jpg - 386kB
achlenov
Banned

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4/25/2007 at 04:18

Not to burst your bubble, but this is almost certainly a digital forgery printed on a used stamp... Look at the edge of the overprint with a magnifying glass and you should see a spatter from an inkjet printer.
venets
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 4/25/2007 at 06:01

Quote:
Оригинальное сообщение от achlenov
Not to burst your bubble, but this is almost certainly a digital forgery printed on a used stamp... Look at the edge of the overprint with a magnifying glass and you should see a spatter from an inkjet printer.

Yes, this is forgery, the quality of the original overprints
is high.
mvarfolo
Czarist

Mood: Zen

[*] posted on 4/25/2007 at 07:52

Quote:
Originally posted by achlenov

Hehe, you are not bursting my bubble at all - this does look inkjet - thanks for confirmation :) The originals have thin, proper letters.

Anyway, after these observations - could somebody move this post to RSFSR forgeries section, please? It's a good example, you know...

Thanks!

I still would love to find something to read about these interesting stamps.

P.S. I believe that these days, Michel and other catalogs should really put forgery label under every overprint set for Russia and area. That would reflect the true state of things much better. This stamp and many others like it prove this, hopefully.
achlenov
Banned

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4/25/2007 at 11:38

Were these overprints listed in Ceresa's RSFSR series?
Alep
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4/25/2007 at 12:30

This is a Far East analog of the so-called philltelic exhange cotrol stamps issued and used in the RSFSR and later in the USSR up to 1933 (if I am not mistaken, Scott does not list such stamps but Michel does). This FE issue was initiated for speculative purposes by Stankov (also the perpetrator of the Vladivostok air mail stamps), the plenipotentiary of SFA in the Far East without permission of or agreement with the central authorities. Therefore, this issue was not recognized and soon withdrawn from use. One can read something of this issue from an article by Blekhman (in Russian) in "Filateliya SSSR", 1985, # 10, p. 39. I have read about this issue more in detail in an older Soviet philatelic magazine but do not remember it at this instant more precisely. I have never seen covers with these stamps and doubt that they exist at all, although Blekhman mentioned them as rare.
IvoSteijn
Major Philatelist

Mood: philatelic

[*] posted on 4/25/2007 at 14:20

I've seen two covers with these stamps. In both cases, normal postage was paid by other stamps and while the "tax" stamps were cancelled by the same postmarks as the normal stamps they did not serve any postal purpose (or tax purpose as far as I could see). Nor did the covers show any sign of having been in the hands of the philatelic exchange control people.

I concluded that the stamps had more or less been added as non-postal vignettes, postmarked by favor or accident, rather like ODVF labels often were.

Ceresa mentions them briefly in his volume on Siberia. Incidentally, Stankov managed to get out of Vladivostok about half a step ahead of the Cheka and via China he ended up in South America, having changed his name to Nomadiev!

Go To Top