Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Starting a postal history collection
oldteddy
Major Philatelist

Mood: Perplexed

[*] posted on 9/5/2007 at 10:55
Reprints

Another Soviet era research area that always intrigued me is the topic of reprints of 1950s. It's well known that many stamps of 1940s and early 1950s were reprinted in the second half of 1950s. And most of those stamps circulating in the West are those reprints. Some reprints are documented in catalogs (Soloviev in particular), some not. I've never heard of any collection of those stamps. It would be great to have them collected, with usages, documented and published as a reference.
Lacplesis
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9/5/2007 at 18:09

How about a collection about the swiss settlements in south-russia and the Kaukasus region?
I think there was (is ?) another collector in Switzerland, collecting this topic.
tbeberger
Major Philatelist

Mood: Fine

[*] posted on 9/22/2007 at 14:28

Dear Samuel
Before starting a collection I would go to big shows, look for the material to get an idea what is existing on the market, to see what is appealing me and to see what you can afford. Unfortunately Switzerland is not very interesting for this as there is not a lot of material. In parallel I would try to get as many information as possible as you already do. Read in the open access journals like Rossica, become member of a specialized society. When your idea is to start a postal history collection it is not necessary to start with traditional philatey before starting with PH. My opinion.
Regarding a possible topic “postal links between Russia and Switzerland” this sounds interesting. I can tell you that there are really nice items in the imperial period to Switzerland while the postal material from Switzerland to Russia is nearly completely lost for this time period. There are interesting aspects like the many Russian students in Bern, especially women which could study there but not in Russia. At the end of WW1 there are many Russians living at the lake if Geneva. These items are often not very sophisticated and you can get them relatively cheap, but you have to hunt for them.
All the best and a lot of fun.
Thomas Berger
(A fellow Swiss colletor from Berne)
jlechtanski

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 9/22/2007 at 14:49

You don't see that much material to Russia from foreign destinations. Even then, I would have thought that Switzerland would not be that difficult. But looking at the current eBay listings, there are 15 for Russia to Switzerland but none from Switzerland to Russia.

I would have thought that all of the international organizations in Switzerland would have produced plenty of covers to Russia.
Gary
Deceased

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9/22/2007 at 17:23

Between 1877 and 1917, I can record only 10 items from Switzerland to Moscow, but over 150 to Switzerland. Grmany and France lead the way in number if items I have seen.

Foreign mail to Moscow is not easy to find pre-1917.
tbeberger
Major Philatelist

Mood: Fine

[*] posted on 10/1/2007 at 14:41

Dear Samuel
At least you are now member of the Arbeitsgemeinschaft Russland. If I may be of any help for you, don't hesitate to contact me directly by mail (TBBerger@gmx.net). I am editing the journal.
Best regards, Thomas Berger

Go To Top