The Samovar
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to Tell a Genuine Scott C68 San Francisco Opnt?
davpot
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood.

study.gif posted on 12/29/2007 at 12:35
How to Tell a Genuine Scott C68 San Francisco Opnt?

Hi All: I have been looking in my "little Red Book" of Russian stamps for information on the 1935 San Francisco Overprint aairmail. I cant read Russian very well, so I have no Idea what they are saying regarding the ways to tell a fake of this stamp. Can anyone help?
Thanks
Dave
ruskystamps
Czarist

Mood: Always half-full

[*] posted on 6/30/2019 at 02:58

Just curious...did anyone ever reply to this post from 2007?

Only I have just purchased a fairly decent Russia collection 1858 - 1947 (included many of the higher cat value stamps, mostly all mint!!) to enhance my existing collection and sell off the duplicates. This includes a 1935 San Francisco Overprint airmail. I've done some checking against Cherrystone Auction stamp images; to compare the overprint and I'm fairly sure mine is a forgery.

I was hoping to find more info on Samovar to help me identify it; and also its approx. current market value even if a forgery (like for instance by François Fournier). The reverse of the stamp has (as you would expect if a "decent"(?) forgery) all the correct watermarks etc.

Maybe Andrew here could help...? :)

air1.jpg - 420kB air2.jpg - 347kB

Publisher of www.ruskystamps.com illustrated stamp album pages - collector of Russian stamps 1858-1991. Based in UK - now retired with more time!
Andrey
Major Philatelist

Mood: What is Mood?

[*] posted on 6/30/2019 at 14:06

I can not see any problem with this overprint but looks like stamp is without gum?
ruskystamps
Czarist

Mood: Always half-full

[*] posted on 7/1/2019 at 02:33

Many thanks Andrey - it was the shape of the ovpt letters that made me think it was a forgery - maybe have another closer look and compare to others you may have and the image of this block of 6 (ex Cherrystone Auction). If you then still think its OK, then that's good news!

Yes, you are right there is no gum - I realise that this lowers its market value (although its not for sale) does that surprise you that this issue was used on mail but escaped any franking?

1011.jpg - 450kB

Publisher of www.ruskystamps.com illustrated stamp album pages - collector of Russian stamps 1858-1991. Based in UK - now retired with more time!
GregMirsky
Rossica Librarian

Mood: Still Optimistic...

[*] posted on 7/2/2019 at 18:03

It is likely that gum was in a bad shape and owner decided to remove it to improve chances of sale. If it would be with gum (MLH for example) the value these days would be in the range of $300 (give or take). MNH is higher .. $800 range. MNG stamp like yours ... probably $150-$200 or so...
cec71
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7/7/2019 at 21:16
Genuine vs forged overprints

The seminal article on discerning genuine vs forged overprints appeared in the Post Rider # 42, June 1998 by Andrew Cronin with a follow up in #49, November 2001.

Profuse illustrations and descriptions.

Can find these in the Post Rider archives website.

Go To Top