Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Truncated triangle numbered dot cancels
tarnowg
Collective Farmer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4/18/2008 at 17:20
Truncated triangle numbered dot cancels

As a very new member of Rossica I do not know what postal history/cancellation-postmark topics have been covered for the time period of some time before late last year, so I do not know if I will be proposing a project that has already been fully addressed but i guess it cant hurt to raise the issue on this forum. For my own collecting interests (Russian Poland) I have been interested in trying to establish what postal establishments received the truncated triangle numbered dot cancels covering the numbers 848-1700. As Prigara points out, since the provincial post offices were not notified about which of their postal establishments were issued these cancellers, it was not possible to identify them. Kiryushkin and Robinson in their Russian Postmarks have identified a handful of these establishments based on philatelic studies. Their listing identifies quite a few of these establishments in the Russian Kingdom of Poland, and since there are gaps in the consecutive number listing I have to believe that gaps within a run of numbers all identifying Polish postal establishments are also Polish establishments. Buty aside from my own personal interests I have to believe that postal history collectors must want to know the identity of as many of the unrecorded establishments as possible. Has there ever been an effort to have collectors submit information about the identity of unrecorded establishments based on items in their collections? The Kiryushkin/Robinson list is a good start but it must be possible to flesh out that list with information currently in the collections of postal history collectors. Am I trying to reinvent the wheel or is there interest out there in this sort of a project? I look forward to comments.
Alep
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4/19/2008 at 01:28

The most recent study on this matter known to me is the article by A. Sarkisyan published in Russian in "Kollektsioner", # 40-41, pp. 83-97, Moscow 2005. There are described a lot of new information as to the numbered dotted cancellations and the localities of their use, inc. Poland.
howard
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 4/19/2008 at 09:25

Two and a half years ago, I posted a request for collectors to send me scans of their triangular dotted numeral cancels on cover to help complete a listing of such cancels that I have been working on for many years. I received a total of zero replies. If you have any postal evidence you would like to show me, or if you want to discuss this issue further, please email me at hweinert@gmail.com

Go To Top