Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Russian MNH year sets
dfillingham
Peasant

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4/28/2008 at 20:12
Russian MNH year sets

There are a lot of MNH Year sets on the market from the Soviet Union and Modern Russia. Does anyone know the source of these? I am wondering what percentage of them are reprints and are any forgeries?
One last question: Do any of the catalogs report well the reprint history of Russian stamps? I have some publications for Germany and the German provincial stamps, but I am confused at this point about Russian reprint history.
GregMirsky
Rossica Librarian

Mood: Still Optimistic...

[*] posted on 4/29/2008 at 02:29

I would recommend Liapin Catalog (Vol2). It has clear definition and desription of first and second issues of Soviet Stamps. It covers period 1941-1960. There was many official reprints made by Soviet Government these years. Some of the reprints quite scarce and expensive.
oldteddy
Major Philatelist

Mood: Perplexed

[*] posted on 4/29/2008 at 06:52

Soloviev catalog also identifies reprints. I do not have Liapin catalog and can't say which one is better.
dfillingham
Peasant

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4/29/2008 at 07:41

Thank you GregMirsky and Oldteddy. I have a third generation (my father's father) collection of stamps from Eastern Europe and Russia, and that will help me focus more on the reality of each stamp. I have looked at some of the threads in Fakes and Forgeries, and I see that, just as in say Belgium, that there are as many forgers 100 years ago as now. Just to say that an older collection is no protection.

:starhit:

Go To Top