The Samovar
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How much postage to Algiers?
241264hsv-fan
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7/8/2009 at 04:29
How much postage to Algiers?

This letter is a printed offer of different grain, wool and any more sent from Rostow at the Don (РОСТОВСКАЯ;) to Algiers franked with 5 + 30 Kop. [6.Jul. 1870]. Transit mark "PRUSSE-FORBACH" on the front and "МОСКВА", "PARIS-GARE DE LYON" and "LYON A AVIGNON" on the back side.
In my opinion postage is via France 28 Kop. (same as to France) and via Austria 34 Kop. Than the letter would franked for the way over Austria convenience overpaid by 1 Kop. Because of the missing note it was carried on the normal way over France.

Is this correct?:question:?

Ru-Al klein.jpg - 71kB
David Jay
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 8/24/2009 at 23:18

No idea about the rate, but again a terrific cover -- has any one seen an earlier franked cover to Africa?
One question -- normally, the merchant's oval mark is on top of the stamps, to prevent postal authorities from stealing a stamp or replacing a high-value stamp with a low value one. This one is under the stamps.
Why?
241264hsv-fan
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 8/25/2009 at 08:29

Probably the sender stamped the cover at his office. Than the cover was franked at the post office by the clerk. He ignored the merchant's oval mark.
Maxime Citerne
Czarist

Mood: Seriously Happy

[*] posted on 6/7/2012 at 07:57

Another great cover, thanks for posting it!

I have in my collection a cover from Kovno to Alger, dated 31 october 1874.

I wrote about it very recently on my blog, I thought my Rossica collagues would be interested by it, so >>> here is the link.

I would like to write a broader article for the Rossica Journal, so any further informations would be appreciated. :study

Best wishes,

Maxime
Maxime Citerne
Czarist

Mood: Seriously Happy

[*] posted on 7/15/2012 at 06:45

Quote: Originally posted by 241264hsv-fan  
This letter ... from Rostow at the Don (РОСТОВСКАЯ;) to Algiers franked with 5 + 30 Kop. [6.Jul. 1870]. ...
In my opinion postage is via France 28 Kop. (same as to France) and via Austria 34 Kop. Than the letter would franked for the way over Austria convenience overpaid by 1 Kop. ...

Is this correct?:question:?

Allthough a French colony in Africa, Algeria was considered as part of France for the postal administration.

Postal rate from Russia to Algeria/France from 01 January 1866 till 30 June 1872: 28 kopecks for 1 Lot.

Prussia: 5 1/2 Sgr (= 70 centimes) which was almost entirely given back to France and Belgium.

The red manuscript on the letter probably fits for this "5 1/2".

Interestingly, there are a few covers to mainland FRANCE known during this period (1866-1872) which are still franked at 37kopecks (rate before 01 January 1866 was exactly 36 1/4 kopecks), as well at 30kopecks (!). Those covers are very rare.

Your cover here is the ONLY known cover to France and Africa during that rate period franked at 35 kopecks, which is an incorrect rate. Maybe the sender believed that the rate was still 37kop (and in this case, the cover would have been underpaid).

By the way, only 6 Russian covers are known to Algeria before UPU.

Best regards,

Maxime

Go To Top