The Samovar
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Stamps of the Russian Empire used abroad by S.D. Tchilinghirian & W.S.E. Stephen
Gary
Deceased

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8/26/2009 at 17:18
Stamps of the Russian Empire used abroad by S.D. Tchilinghirian & W.S.E. Stephen

Rossica has an opportunity to digitize and publish these works for a small fee. Fully understanding that the works are out-of-date in certain areas, and that there has not been a legitimate effort to collect the updates coupled with opposition by some people, should we proceed? As a reminder, no published effort can be considered as the Bible since things change.

If you can find paper copies of this excellent work, they are very expensive.

Majority rules. No responses, no production period. If you are shy and do not want to speak out on the Samovar, please send mean email or a regular letter at the addresses listed on the contacts page. We do not need to waste time producing items of no interest to the philatelic community.
Admin
Samovar Admin

Mood: mahvelous

[*] posted on 8/26/2009 at 18:59

Yes, all for it. Rossica has an excellent digital library (online and CD ROM/DVD) and I want to give most, if not all of the credit to our President for making this happen. This would be an outstanding edition to Rossica!
GregMirsky
Rossica Librarian

Mood: Still Optimistic...

[*] posted on 8/26/2009 at 19:49

Original set of 6 books published by BSRP costs $300-400 US if you lucky enough to find them. One issue - ~$50-60 US. If it can be offered at reasonable price (to be determined) - it is definitely a valuable source of informaiton.

Is BSRP giving Rossica rights only for digital edition (on CD/DVD) or Rossica will have all publishing rights for this set of books all together?
The Tsar
Czarist

[*] posted on 8/26/2009 at 20:27

I for one am for digitizing this work.

It contains a wealth of information, that even simple stamp collectors should find of interest.

PS: Will this include the Supplements?
Unhinged
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 8/27/2009 at 02:06

Quote: Originally posted by GregMirsky  
Is BSRP giving Rossica rights only for digital edition (on CD/DVD) or Rossica will have all publishing rights for this set of books all together?

Greg's question is most pertinent here; what does Rossica get for this "small fee"?

I am all for Rossica acquiring all available material, if the cost is no more than the benefit.
Gary
Deceased

[*] posted on 8/27/2009 at 02:54

The scanning will probably find it way onto my plate. Presuming the Board of Directors agrees, here is the basic agreement for this work:

We confirm that Rossica is henceforth licensed by the British Society of Russian Philately, the copyright holders, to publish and distribute digital copies of “Stamps of the Russian Empire used abroad” by S.D,Tchilinghirian& W.S.E. Stephen (6 volumes 1957-9).

The conditions of this licence are as follows:

1) BSRP’s ownership of the copyright will be prominently acknowledged in the text.
2) Rossica shall supply to BSRP, without charge, two library copies of any resultant CD, DVD or other physical medium
3) BSRP reserve the right to amend or terminate the licence at their discretion.

Sincerely

Terry Page (President,)
Norman Ames (Secretary)
The British Society of Russian Philately
mailrail
Czarist

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 8/27/2009 at 07:37

Although I have a set of these (Gary, I could help with scanning), I would support making them available electronically. The additional benefit is the ability to provide fully indexed and searchable PDFs.
At $300 - 400 a set, against an original price of $4.50 per volume, this book has outperformed most other investments big time! :-)
The Supplement is in Volume 6 (unless there was additional material I didn't get).
michalov
Czarist

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 8/27/2009 at 10:24

This is one of the most important, and most expensive, works in Russian philatelic literature. If the BSRP is kind enough to let Rossica issue a digital version, I'm all for it. This will give affordable access to anyone who is interested.

The Tsar asked if this would include the supplements. It sounds like this deal would not include the used abroad chronicles, but that's a possibility to discuss with the BSRP. It would greatly enhance the value of the project, although it might have to be a separate publication.
Peter
jlechtanski

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 8/28/2009 at 18:54

The "Used Abroad Chronicles," added to the basic volumes if possible, would be greatly improve the product.

I think a digital edition is an excellent idea.

What was meant by "there has not been a legitimate effort to collect the updates coupled with opposition by some people"
alan717usa
Collective Farmer

[*] posted on 9/2/2009 at 01:08

If there is a digital version, I believe this will benefit to a lot of collector like myself. I have been trying to secure some parts of the T&S for a reasonable price but failed!
Gary
Deceased

[*] posted on 9/2/2009 at 17:13

This was presented to the Rossica officers with a recommended path to completion. I am not sure, but I do not think you will see any action on this item before next year by Rossica. Greg Mirsky suggested a moratorium on any new activity that could wait until the next crew of officers (all the same people except for the board and me) come on board on January 1, 2010. 'For the rest of the year focus on Elections and Journal 153 and not to push anything else unless it is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to finish it before end of the year... Restart all these activities from January 1, 2010 with new Officers.'

No officer expressed agreement or disagreement. In effect, suggesting that all Rossica officers are lame ducks until January.

Given that, I will formally withdraw my request to have this done. If you the members want it, then you will need to address these 'new Officers.' I wish you the best of luck.

Sorry, but that is the way it goes. This could have been done and out the door in a few weeks.:hair

GregMirsky
Rossica Librarian

Mood: Still Optimistic...

[*] posted on 9/2/2009 at 20:46

Gary,
Since you mentioned my name and quoted without context :)...
As we all agree it can be done and a good idea, but it is a matter of priorities for next several months (September -December 2009). Scanning alone will take some time since first you volunteered to do it yourself (thank you!) and immediately withdrew your offer as soon as people supported this initiative. So - it goes on "to do" list for other people. :( That is all. Thank you very much for taking this proposal that far.
alan717usa
Collective Farmer

[*] posted on 9/2/2009 at 22:40

If this is good suggestion and a lot of people actually support, I suggest the officer should go ahead with this project and prepare for the election at the same time. T&S is a kind of reference for the collector of this area, the ability to get to the info listed in the T&S does helps a lot, if the officers can proceed and benefits so many people, I am sure a lot of people will remember your good names in a very long time. Especially the price of T&S is so high and hard to come by, please re-consider!
Jeff
Super Administrator

Mood: It's developing...

[*] posted on 9/3/2009 at 10:18

Looks like the volunteer to do the work has up and left. Mailrail, you did offer to provide some scanning support. If the document (s) can be scanned and delivered to me, I can create the indexed pdf and create the publication. I am not privy to all of the behind the scenes haggling and screaming and yelling (thank you everyone for excluding me from this....) so if there is agreement and it is as simple as scanning and creating, let's move forward.
Gary
Deceased

[*] posted on 9/3/2009 at 16:46

Jeff, no need at the moment to request your help. Please use the time to make sure we have publication agreements for articles in the journal before we switch regimes. This is very important to the society and must be taken seriously. One lawsuit an we are beyond broke.

Thanks
Jeff
Super Administrator

Mood: It's developing...

[*] posted on 9/3/2009 at 18:28

OK, thanks Gary. Please see my private response to you via email (and I would appreciate you do not publish here like you did Greg's email above). That being said, and trying to get this back on track, if someone is willing to scan I am willing to produce the document.
Unhinged
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 9/3/2009 at 20:18

What is required for scanning? Meaning, what quality levels? Size limits for files? Type of file? I have an HP printer/scanner, but I'm not sure it's up to publishing quality work. Plus, any pages would have to be individual pages, I can't scan book pages, as far as I know. But if it's flat scanning of home quality, I can help. As an unemployed recent grad stupident (sic), I have some time on my hands for the nonce.
Gary
Deceased

[*] posted on 9/4/2009 at 05:26

The scans will be completed and PDF files will be available before the end of September 2009. How much and exactly what will be included or what it will cost are still in the negotiations stage.:) This is being done as a labor of love on my part and will serve as my swan song. If it helps but a single collector discover something he/she did not know, then it was worth the effort.
alan717usa
Collective Farmer

[*] posted on 9/11/2009 at 11:14

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Your effort and time spent on these will be remembered by a lot of collectors who simply cannot afford it or could not located such materials, the info will helps to open our eyes to the area. Appreciated.
Gary
Deceased

[*] posted on 9/30/2009 at 17:34

OK, what we are looking at is all six books PLUS the BSRP journal updates and the couple of articles in Post Rider. We are in the final assembly stages and want to let the members know. At this time, we are taking pre-orders. We are asking members to pay $45 for this effort and non-members to pay $65. This will get you the CD/DVD sent First Class worldwide. What a great deal to have so much information at your fingertips.

This will not be coming from Jeff or Mike, so please do not bother sending them emails about it.

If you are interested, please send payment now. PayPal to sales@rossica.org - remember to include $1.50 for members and $5 for non-members. Cash, check, money order, etc. to the Society's elected Treasurer. If you pay other than via PayPal, please send me an email with the details AFTER you send payment.

Initially, we are limiting the members to a single copy. How many can you have open at one time he asks? :cool:

If there is no demand, then we shut down the assembly line. Questions? Please send me an email directly.:)
red1999
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 10/1/2009 at 04:01

I am interested and would like to buy one of these.

Is there an "order page" like this one http://www.rossica.org/Bookshop/Members/member_books.php or should I simply order $45+$1.50 at sales@rossica.org?

Regards,
Stefan
Gary
Deceased

[*] posted on 10/1/2009 at 04:19

There is no order page on the website. If using PayPal to pay, please send directly to sales@rossica.org.
Gary
Deceased

[*] posted on 10/1/2009 at 13:51

What I forgot to add! If all goes according to plans, we should have the first orders in the mail by the end of October 2009 at the very latest. We are deciding how best to package this work and inhibit piracy at the same time.
alan717usa
Collective Farmer

[*] posted on 10/1/2009 at 23:54

Thanks Gary, money just sent, have been waiting for this long time ago, thanks for realizing my dream, appreciated, Gary.
Gary
Deceased

[*] posted on 10/3/2009 at 12:07

Thanks!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top