Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Petrograd receive postmark identification
Randy
Czarist

Mood: Collector

[*] posted on 9/7/2009 at 13:27
Petrograd receive postmark identification

I have a postcard posted Sept 11, 1923 from Odessa to Petrograd. There are two receiving Petrograd postmarks, both dated Sept 15, 1923. The larger one, 27 mm in diameter, has "6 EKCP" between the outer two circles so that mark was applied at the 6th Expedisiya of Petrograd. It also has an '11' just below the date. See the attached scan.

The second receive postmark is 22 mm in diameter and reads (transliterated) "6?8? EKCPEDITSYA".

I have two questions:
1. Why the purpose of each of the two receive marks?
2. What is the meaning of the '11' in the larger postmark?

Thanks,

Randy :cool:

scan0001.jpg - 48kBscan0002.jpg - 40kB
jlechtanski

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 9/7/2009 at 16:33

Baillie & Peel has a note that "the Address Search Bureau was at 6 Eksped in 1916." Whether it still was there in 1923 is another question.

Gary
Deceased

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9/7/2009 at 17:05

The address bureau was not a postal function and was located with the police and not at a postal establishment. The Ekspeds were located at the Main Post Office.

In 1922 it was located at Moika #17. In 1913, it was located at Sadovaya #59. Hope this helps.

All bets are off by 1923-1924 as the Russians/Soviets change things.
Randy
Czarist

Mood: Collector

[*] posted on 9/7/2009 at 19:07

Thanks guys. I appreciate your answers.

I'm not familiar with Baillie & Peel and was not aware of an address bureau.

I gather from your replies that the postcard was received at the main Petrograd post office. One of the postmarks was applied upon receiving the postcard; suppose it was the smaller one. The sub-office that applied the smaller receive mark would then have the responsibility of sorting the mail and dispersing it to the sub-office that would actually deliver the postcard within Petrograd. In the case, for example, the postcard was received at the main post office, the smaller receive mark was applied, the post card got sorted and sent to Eksped 6 since the addressee was in Eksped 6's delivery zone.

Then the two questions become
1. Did mail from other cities in Russia automatically go to a single sub-office in Petrograd? Is that how Moscow handled incoming mail? Is it reasonable to assume that Moscow and Petrograd would operate the same way (whatever that is)?
2. Is there any significance to the fact that EKSPED was fully spelled out in the smaller receive mark? How did Moscow do it?
Gary
Deceased

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9/10/2009 at 05:39

Interesting to note that some 8 years after the Russian alphabet was revised, the letter "I" (second from last letter "Ya") has yet to be replaced in the canceling device. I have seen examples as late as September 1924 still using the older alphabet. Can someone add to our information on this topic?

Go To Top