The Samovar
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: sc#192 fold,#426 dot variety?
velosiped
Unregistered

smile.gif posted on 9/30/2009 at 00:02
sc#192 fold,#426 dot variety?

Hi,
First of all I would like to say that russian stamps aren't my 100% interest so would like to apologize in advance for the dumb questions:) I do collect pre-1940 air post of baltic states and for the moment only regular sets,nothing specialized.So my only "holy bible" is scotts catalogue 1840-1940 and this errors/flaws not listed in there,are these are scarce,or common ones?

z80kopekadot between frame and background.JPG - 72kB

5000rub.JPG - 85kB
GregMirsky
Rossica Librarian

Mood: Still Optimistic...

[*] posted on 9/30/2009 at 14:45

As we all know Scott is not the best source of information about Russian stamp varieties, etc. Specialized catalogs are much better, but even these catalogs typically do not list EFO (errors/freaks/oddities) similar to stamps you posted.

Paper folds on first RSFSR issues (like your Scott #192) are well known, but there are so many of them that there is no way to catalog them.
Scott #426 is a little bit more interesting. It can be EFO (one of the kind because of some dirt on the plate) or unknown variety (if somebody will find more copies and will be able to locate them on the sheet and determine plate position).
So hopefully after this posting our members/visitors will dig in their "archives" and check if they have something similar to your stamp.
velosiped
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10/1/2009 at 01:03

Thank you Greg for the reply,I really appreciate.
By the way as I mentioned in my first post I collect pre-1940 Lithuanian,Estonian and Latvian air post stamps and my stamp knowledge and collecting experience is only a 4years old so I'm pretty much a beginner,and I inherited three stockbooks of the russian stamps,the problem is that my dear grand uncle had a two hobbies 1:stamp collecting 2:vodka drinking :mad:and his most intense collecting time was 40-30 years ago back in USSR and after that he once in a while took some stamps from the stockbooks(his wife used to say it) and then showed up again at the doorsteps a few days later begging his wife for a mercy.So right know I'm having a bit of trouble indicating the stamps because he didnt used any catalogue numbers and didnt add notes and I'v got a tricky part setting apart those typo and litho stamps,I just want to see what this collection would catalogue for because I will most likely leave the air post to myself and sell rest of the stamps.
Here is some extras that I found interesting the 1 ruble error is mint never hinged.

1rublis.JPG - 103kB pushkin.JPG - 164kB
jlechtanski

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 10/2/2009 at 14:34

Isn't the Scott 426 showing the characteristic doughnut shape caused by an ink bubble bursting? That would make it an EFO.

Liapin illustrates a similar misperforated 1R missing the brown ink and notes "printing waste known."

Go To Top