Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Levant imperf - fake?
davpot
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 10/14/2009 at 00:04
Levant imperf - fake?

Just wanted the forums opinion on this item Ive had for some time. It looks to me like a fake, but Im not sure. I dont see an imperf listed in Scott. Any takers?:hair

russlevant2.jpg - 265kB
Jeff
Super Administrator

Mood: It's developing...

[*] posted on 10/14/2009 at 23:08

Why do you think it looks like a fake?
davpot
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 10/14/2009 at 23:59

Im assuming that the broken letters and frame elements are typical of a forgers handiwork. Youve got to admit if its not a fake, then the plates are really in bad need of replacement!!
IMHO
dave:lecture
Gary
Deceased

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10/15/2009 at 17:05

Dave, looks like you stumped them!:D
jlechtanski

[*] posted on 10/16/2009 at 15:50

Doesn't it look like the flaking you see on the earlier stamps of Russia proper due to the effects of being soaked.

A note in Scott says the 1k, 3k, 5k and 10k exist imperf. I think they are referring to the ones on horizontally laid paper.
Gary
Deceased

[*] posted on 10/18/2009 at 07:04

Has any catalog classified this item and included a number?
nik

[*] posted on 10/19/2009 at 21:54

The cancel looks quite genuine and shows the year - 1871 - and the word: "AGENTSTVO" (Agency). With 1871 on the cancel - this has to be the 1868 issue since the next issue came out in 1872. And it certainly looks like all of the used 1868 issue 5 kop. stamps that I have: lots of spots where the ink dissolved and came off the paper. Also the color is right - a brighter, lighter blue than the 1872 5 kop. issue. Interestingly enough, neither Scotts, nor V. Yu. Solov'ev's catalogs mention anything about imperfs. But I have no reason to think that the stamps are a forgery since forgers generally prefer to create forgeries of known expensive cataloged stamps. There is no set market price on impef copies of the 1868 issue because there is nothing about them in the catalog. So what's the point of making a forgery which everyone will immediately assume is a forgery? Makes no sense. That's why I tend to think that this is a genuine 1868 issue pair that somehow did not pass through the perforator. Stuff happens.
Gary
Deceased

[*] posted on 10/20/2009 at 06:40

Good to see that collectors continue to make new discoveries and add information!

On the subject of forgeries, it does not have to be listed in a catalog. Quite often the fact that it is not listed qualifies it as "special," and this can elevate the price to own. There have been many items for sale that were "not listed" in such-and-such or by so-and-so.
davpot
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 10/21/2009 at 08:53

Just a note of thanks to one and all for taking the time to reply. Close up, it still looks like H#LL! to me. I cant tell what the watermark is. I will check it with fluid and get back. I got this is an APS booklet years ago and it has been sitting in the back of my book since then. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge! Levant is not my area at all!
davpot:D
Alep
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 10/22/2009 at 09:46

By the way, is not this pair with the vertical perforation missing between but the perfs cut off around? This is quite possible with a line perforation.

Go To Top