Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Moscow Main Post Office mark
Gary
Deceased

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11/14/2009 at 17:28
Moscow Main Post Office mark

About a year ago I was asked to provide information for a Moscow mark used pre-1917 from a member. At the time, it was the only one I had seen and could not provide any good comments. The picture is shown here. It is not my picture and I will tell anybody who is interested to whom the picture belongs in separate email.

Mail Attachment.jpeg - 87kB
Gary
Deceased

[*] posted on 11/14/2009 at 17:30
1925 similar mark

I asked my partner in Moscow efforts and he also had not seen one. Recently, I found another similar mark from 1925. Are there more examples that can be shown with the pochtampt at the top of the postmark for Moscow?

1925-Moscow-pochtampt.jpg - 123kB
Unhinged
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 11/15/2009 at 16:30

I see the postcard was going to Persia. Could there have been a post office for sorting items headed in this direction, and this was the postmark used there? Do we know where the first example was going, or do we have just the stamp?

As an aside, does anyone know what the postcard says? "Weather's fine, wish you were" type of thing?
Gary
Deceased

[*] posted on 11/15/2009 at 16:57

Excellent questions.

The first item is a loose stamp and looks like it was used by the 4th Dispatch Office.

By 1924, Moscow had basically settled in as far as the postal office. There were many changes, but mainly in name. They list the 1st DO as being incoming/outgoing ordinary and registered mail. They do not list a separate DO for foreign or internal mail in the P&T section.
Gary
Deceased

[*] posted on 11/16/2009 at 17:43

One thing I forgot to mention. Mea Culpa!

Until sometime in 1904, Moscow did make a distinction between internal and foreign main in the postmarks and the literature. With the disappearance of the 4th Dispatch Office from the marking devices in 1904, we also note the use of almost all other offices for sending foreign mail. There had to be a section within the Main Post Office proper to ensure mail was sorted and sent along the right path to its destination. We have not been able to state that certain postmarks were used by this function.

Sorry, but that is the best I can do at the moment.:(

Go To Top