The Samovar
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Railway Post Office in Lodz- as it was ?
Leshek
Czarist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1/2/2010 at 18:46
The Railway Post Office in Lodz- as it was ?

I study the history of post in Lodz, more than 20 years, including the history of post on rail. There are no postal documents. So I read the entries in the calendars, contemporary newspapers, research historians. I found a note on the location of sub-offices and post offices, but no mention of the offices at railway stations in Lodz.
In 1865, branch of Road Iron Warsaw - Vienna was built - route Koluszki-Lodz. On the route traveled by 2 postal wagons. But whether it was a post office and had his own devices? There are known numerous letters with marks for postal wagon, but I only have 2 types of postmarks from Lodz - WDZ-Lodz /from 1867/ and Zhel.Dor.-Lodz /from 1870/, which are not assigned to the post office. I also have letters with registration labels as follows - "Zhel. Dor. Station" and "Zhel. p.o.". On both letters is just a "Postal wagon - Lodz-Kolyushki" postmark next to the label.
According to the "Russian Railway Postmarks" in Lodz was "Lodz - Fabrichnaya LF / st /", but the authors do not give a picture of the postmark. The registration labels are of two types, but there is no postmark. Does he even exist?
Is a letter turned over to the postal wagon directly without any post office? But where these used first postmarks and late labels?
Does anyone have other postmarks or registration labels from Lodz railway station?

Image 0155.jpg - 162kB

Attachment: phpK3cBEE (421kB)
This file has been downloaded 302 times

Image 0154.jpg - 209kBWDZŁodz.jpg - 75kB
David Jay
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 1/3/2010 at 00:12

This is not my field, but -- your three items are to die for!! Absolutely terrific.

There is an article in BSRP 70 by J. G. Moyes that gives a lot of the background
regarding this confusing situation. This was a short railroad, and the line between
the traveling post office and the railroad post office at the Lodz terminus is blurred.
I gather that TPO marks exist with RR station registry labels. It is not clear whether the
items were posted on the train or at the terminus. There seems to be much to be learned
about this situation yet.
Leshek
Czarist

[*] posted on 1/3/2010 at 04:40

Thank you Jay. They are really rare.
I do not know the article in BSRP. Can you send it? My email address ciemiorek.c8 @ wp.pl
I downloaded the fourth item, with another label, badly. How do I add it now? I can not add images as a response to the Samovar (Post Reply only). What is the Preview Post?
Leshek
Czarist

[*] posted on 1/3/2010 at 11:58

This is the last letter with the registration label. George Miskin marked it as Z2. I have the in collection only Z2 and Z3. I'm looking for color, the faithful of other labels scans.

Attachment: phpFGw6ur (421kB)
This file has been downloaded 298 times

Leshek
Czarist

[*] posted on 1/3/2010 at 12:04

Attachment: phpDSnBDg (421kB)
This file has been downloaded 286 times

David Jay
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 1/3/2010 at 13:07

If necessary, I can scan the article. I wonder though, whether BSRP articles aren't part of the digital archive accessed elsewhere on the site?
Leshek
Czarist

[*] posted on 1/4/2010 at 14:07

I already have it. Thank you very much, Gary, for 3 articles from BJRP.
Above - 3 times I tried to insert an image / another label /, but without success. Apparently this is a defect in the image, but you can watch it - must be 2 times click on the word Attachment ...

Go To Top