Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sparrow Hills Due Mark
David Jay
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4/3/2010 at 17:08
Sparrow Hills Due Mark

I was looking at the Dave Skipton's terrific "Mayflies" virtual exhibit, and then remembered an item I've had for quite a while. Took some time to figure out where I had put. This is a PPC sent 24/4/1916 from the Sparrow Hills Seasonal Office outside Moscow to Aleksandrov, Vladimir Province, where it arrived to days later. It is franked with 3k stamp. Before the war, this would have been the correct rate for a card that was not a greeting card (too many words). Here it has been charged 14k postage due. I think this means that a postal employee decided it was a greeting card, discouraged during the war due to the volume of mail generated by greeting cards, in a time with huge demands for communication with the army. It should, therefore, have been franked at 10k. Thus, there is a red "Vorob'evy Gori" (Sparrow Hills) due mark (filled in with a "14") that I have not seen else where. The 14k is not crossed out, so the receiving post office seems to have agreed regarding the category of mail.

Sparrow_hiils_due.jpg - 119kB
Rasputin
Super Moderator

Mood: Philatelic

[*] posted on 4/3/2010 at 19:41

Thanks, David, that's a fantastic postcard, and as far as I know it's the only recorded Sparrow Hills postage due mark. (And red is most unusual for ANY temporary post office handstamp, never mind just postage dues.) May I, um, steal or otherwise appropriate the scan for a temporary PO catalog I'm working on? Due credit will be given, of course!
David Jay
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4/3/2010 at 19:46

Dave-
Delighted to send you a scan, or if it is high enough resolution, you can use this.
David
Rasputin
Super Moderator

Mood: Philatelic

[*] posted on 4/4/2010 at 07:57

Many thanks, David, this is more than adequate.

Go To Top