Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Possible "first day" mute cancel
David Jay
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10/26/2010 at 22:30
Possible "first day" mute cancel

It appears that normal cancels were used up to the end of July (see previous post), with mute cancels being introduced around 1 August. The first day of a month is normal sort of time for a bureaucracy to introduce a new policy, though the exigencies of war might have dictated some other timing. Anyway, here is a PC with ms.: "Frerenhof(?) 1.8.14". It is impossible to establish that it was posted on 1 August, though that seems likely, but it is difficult to imagine how we can find a more definite example. It might well be possible to find examples with ms. dates in the end of July, though I've not seen any.

The mute cancel does not quite match any known mute, though it is similar to one of the Riga mute machine cancels. It is possible that Frerenhof is near Reval, the destination of the card. The language of the text may give a hint as to the origin of the card, but I'm equally illiterate in Estonian and Latvian.
Any information on the origin of the card would be appreciated.

Frerenhof.jpg - 326kB
Alep
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10/29/2010 at 01:31

The message is in Estonian. A locality named Frerenhof could be both in the Estlyand and Liflyand gubernias, the latter including the territories of the present Estonia (southern part) and Latvia (northern part). However, I did not succeed to locate such place on the old maps. It is certain, at least, that there was no post office, branch or agency with such name, so the postcard was handled at some nearby office.

Go To Top