Author: Subject: OMSK 1923 - OTDEL JIVOY SVYAZI - BRANCH of LIVE CONNECTION
averkiev
Czarist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7/10/2011 at 16:09
OMSK 1923 - OTDEL JIVOY SVYAZI - BRANCH of LIVE CONNECTION

Hello!
Please help.
Interesting card sent from Jaroslavl in april 1924 with postage due marking arrived to Omsk at 16 or 18 (see part of postmark on damaged corner of the card).
Illustrating side of this postcard have very unusual Omsk postamark with text "OMSK - OTDEL JIVOY SVYAZI" with date 00 - 5 -*3. Very strange date of the day - 00. Probably is ordinary mistake.
Can anybody say, what means "JIVAYA SVYAZ" (LIVE CONNECTION)??? Telephone??
I never seen before any RSFSR or Soviet postmarks with similar text.
What is it???
Thank you!

omsk living connection010.jpg - 134kB omsk living connection008.jpg - 131kB omsk living connection009.jpg - 46kB
GregMirsky
Rossica Librarian

Mood: Still Optimistic...

[*] posted on 7/11/2011 at 13:51

It is so called courier delivery service - Фельдегерская связь. Just Google on "отдел живой связи" and you will get idea what it is.
averkiev
Czarist

[*] posted on 7/23/2011 at 10:12

thank you Greg! Yes, according to information from official web-site of russian state courier delivery service www.cccb.ru this is фельдегерская связь. But I can`t understand why this privat card has been delivered by such special service.
Rasputin
Super Moderator

Mood: Philatelic

[*] posted on 7/23/2011 at 11:29

averkiev,

I agree with you that there doesn't seem to be any reason why this private picture postcard should have been sent by a "feldjaeger" service. With regular date stamps and a postage due marking, it's a certainty that it went through the postal system. Given the fact that the date plugs in the "Otdel zhivoy svyazi" weren't moved up changed to April 16th, one possibility is that someone actually in or connected with the feldjaeger service had this postcard sitting around on his desk and used the back of it (rather than an ordinary piece of paper) to test how well inked the "Otdel" date stamp was before using it on the real thing.
averkiev
Czarist

[*] posted on 7/23/2011 at 12:10

Interesting hypothesis, though also rather improbable in my opinion.
stamplover
Administrator

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 1/24/2017 at 19:52
Even simpler?

As we know, all Soviet mail had to be postmarked on arrival. Isn't it possible that a low-level clerk did not find proper device, used something with the word "Omsk" that was handy, but did not adjust the date to avoid any responsibility in the future? They probably used the "Zhivaya svyaz" device as a doorstopper. :)
vasia
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 1/26/2017 at 10:43

Fascinating postcard, Averkiev!

i wonder if the postmark in question had something to do with the collection of the due charge. It is amazing that for a 5k deficiency (the postcard rate was 75k) the addressee would have to pay 1r60k, i.e deficiency + registration fee (5k + 1r50k), rounded upwards by 5k! :hair
Alep
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 2/3/2017 at 08:41

It is not amazing: at that time, one calculated the postage due as deficiency to the regiatered item rate - 1 r 60 k. in this case.
As to the postmark, I can only assume that "Otdel zhivoi svyazi" was a point of storage when the addressee was not found in place or refused to pay the postage due and accept the card.
vasia
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 2/4/2017 at 11:56

We agree, Alexander

the "amazing" goes to the fact that for a 5k deficit on the part of the sender, the recipient would have to pay 1R 60k to receive the postcard.

Go To Top