Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Station Ponazyrevo
David Jay
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7/23/2011 at 20:35
Station Ponazyrevo

This item, sent 7/6/1921, is fairly late for a RR Stantsia marking.
My Soviet era atlas says that Ponazyrevo is located between Kostroma and Kotelnich, in Kostomskaya Oblast, but close to the border of Kirovskaya Obl. Whether it was in Kostroma or Vyatka in imperial times is unclear.

Presumably, all such offices were upgraded to Pocht Otdelenie or some other status by 1917, so this is a late use, not reflecting the actual status of the office. Interestingly, no such office is listed in the 1916 PO list, and the Kiryushkin listing does not include this location at all. Thus, it is unclear whether it was actually opened after 1916, or was already renamed to something else in 1916.

In any event, the Soviet system continued to use the "Ct. ___" notation up to at least 1940 for some locations,
though presumably this title no longer designated a semi-postal office. I don't know when this designation ended, as I don't generally collect post 1930 material.

Ct_Ponazyrevo_small.jpg - 378kB
howard
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 7/24/2011 at 08:44

The 1917 supplement to the 1916 list shows post offices that opened or closed between 1 Sept. 1915 and 1 April 1917. Ponazyrevo is not listed there, but there are many other stantsia offices that opened during this period. Ponazyrevo must have opened after 1 April 1917, but before 1918 since the old alphabet is still used in the postmark.
David Jay
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 7/24/2011 at 11:43

Howard -

Thanks. Gazry tells me it is to be found in the 1916 listing under Panazyrevo; it was in Kostroma Province. As the marking says, it is on one of the Northern Railways lines.
tarnowg
Collective Farmer

[*] posted on 8/10/2011 at 16:31

David,
I was looking over some of the recent Postal History postings and came across your presentation of the Soviet era item with the St. Ponazyrevo marking. I decided to look at some Russian websites to see if I could shed any further light on the matter. The Russian Wikipedia has a small article devoted to Ponazyrevo which provides a very brief history. According to the article Ponazyrevo was founded sometime at the very end of the 19th and very beginning of the 20th centuries. Apparently it was named for a local peasant Ponazyrev. In 1906 the railway was laid through the settlement and "the railway station contributed to the growth of the village". The railway station is on the Buj-Kotel'nich section. So, a semi-postal office could have been opened as early as 1906 or thereabouts, and indeed my copy of Kiryushkin/Robinson (1994 ed.) reports that a postal establishment was opened at Ponazyrevo station in December 1908. Hope this is of some help.
David Jay
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 8/12/2011 at 19:37

Thanks!

Go To Top