vasia
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1/18/2012 at 05:57
1918 Romania-occupied Bessarabia

This is a recent addition to my collection:

0005-9.jpg - 141kB

0006-5.jpg - 381kB

22/4/1918 Imperial postal card from Kishinev / Chisinau, Moldavian Democratic Republic (Romanian-occupied Bessarabia, on April 9th the union of the Moldavian Republic with Romania had been proclaimed) to Iasi, Romania (25/4 Iasi was then the administrative center of Romania, Bucharest and a large part of the country having been occupied by Austria-Hungary).

The card is franked at 10k with the addition of a 7k Arms this is the postcard rate introduced by the Central Rada in the Ukraine in January 1918 and presumably applicable in Bessarabia as well. The franking is cancelled by a postmark reading: OFIC.TEL.POSTAL MILITAR / DIVIZIA I VANATORI, an FPO cancel. A military unit seal at center of card, indicating free dispatch? Censored in IASI (type C), written in Romanian. (See articles about 1918 uses in Bessarabia in Post Rider #45 by Dan Grecu and #56 and #60 by Alexander Epstein).

Is this card a military free-frank for a Romanian military person? Is the Russian franking superfluous and the card used as a blank?

Even if the case of a free-frank is correct, I think it would clearly demonstrate that in late April the post-offices in Kishinev had available stocks of postal cards pre-franked at 10k for "domestic" usage. Were these cards (and the corresponding Central Rada 10k rate) still being used within Bessarabia in late April or were they remainder stocks?
stamps101
Collective Farmer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1/19/2012 at 09:13

That is very interesting history. Nice addition, vasia

Go To Top