Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Utilitarian labels
kevinholdridge
Peasant

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1/19/2012 at 17:36
Utilitarian labels

Greetings comrades. I recently acquired a lovely small collection of what I'm told are called 'utilitarian' labels. I'm new to covers rather than stamps but haven't been able to find any reference to this kind of label. all I know is that they seem to have been in widespread use for registered mail between at least 1926 and 1934.

Can anyone out there by any chance point me to any literature providing any information on this topic?

Thanks

Kevin

utilitarian.jpg - 28kB
howard
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 1/20/2012 at 12:51

Registration labels were introduced in Russia in 1899.
verny
Major Philatelist

Mood: Bright & breezy

[*] posted on 2/3/2012 at 18:20

An interesting topic, I have for my sins collected a variety of such labels over the years - all things quirky as those who know me will attest, with a view someday to studying them. There aqre many types and varieties and whilst I have seen a few articles over the years I have not seen anything comprehensive. I would be happy to share examples and information but my collection is in storage at the moment. I will endeavor to dig some out.
Incidentally there is a comparable field to study in the developemtn of registration labels in post-soviet Russia - again I have dozens of examples. One of the key reasons for the variety is that whilst the regulations lay down a basic format the labels were not sourced centrally but rather regionally or locally depending upon circumstance. This leads to a wide variety and the same holds true for even the modern bar-coded registration labels. there are different sizes shapes letter sizes etc etc.

Go To Top