The Samovar
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Phase 2 of RVG Redesign Complete!
Jeff
Super Administrator

Mood: It's developing...

smile.gif posted on 8/21/2012 at 20:01
Phase 2 of RVG Redesign Complete!

The second phase of the RVG redesign is complete! What was the first - you say? Phase 1 was a redesign of the main page at http://www.rossica.org/v_gallery/ where we added new pictures, new links, etc. to try and make your visit a little easier.

Phase 2 is the redesign of each of the "main" pages for each exhibit. What we did first is create a management console (not visible to the casual observer) where an administrator can do on-the fly changes to the content of each exhibit's home page. Next, all of the information displayed was moved to a database which helps us manage the information a little easier. Next... we created some scripts that will 'render' (i.e. build the page) for each exhibit's home page. After you visit one page you should notice not only a nicer, more consistent design, but also each page will load faster.

Will there be a Phase 3? You bet! Phase 3 will add some help links to teach the uninformed about how the RVG works. In addition, we hope to redesign the page where you view each exhibit so that navigation is a little easier.

Keep coming back! And please, provide feedback! Positive, negative, indifferent, "you don't get it" or whatever.

Cheers,

Jeff
verny
Major Philatelist

Mood: Bright & breezy

[*] posted on 9/1/2012 at 09:56

Good work Jeff. How do I find out about the virtual gallery and how to submit to it? I tried the 'about the virtual gallery' link on the homepage but it is a broken link (code 404).
Jeff
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9/1/2012 at 19:41

Verny, the page was a victim of some tidying up by the webmaster after some new code was deployed. My apologies, but also thanks much for pointing this out! We often assume things are well until someone points an issue out to us.

The page is back where it belongs.

Cheers,

Jeff
Jeff
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9/18/2012 at 20:42
Phase 2.1 Complete!

There is a modification to pdf viewing. If you click on the pdf icon, you will go to a new page that shows all of the pdf's associated with the exhibit. The pdf names are 'friendlier' meaning that if you download them to your computer (simply right click and save as on a Windows PC), you will be able to tell which exhibit you have downloaded.

Bottom line is a more profession look for our RVG.

Comments or criticisms? Just send me an email at jeff.radcliffe@rossica.org or post a response here for all to see!

:)

p.s. If you are having a problem getting to the pdf page of each exhibit, you may need to clear the cache on your browser and then try again. CTRL + F5 on your keyboard will refresh the page you are on.

Go To Top