Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: St Petersburg to Petrograd
David Jay
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12/15/2012 at 16:35
St Petersburg to Petrograd

According to Tony Speeckaert's book on WWI censorship, St Petersburg officially become Petrograd on 1 September 1914.
This name change was not immediately reflected in postal markings it seems. The earliest postal indication of the change
appears, as far as I know, in censorship marks which, 14 Sept. all say "Petrograd", for both the 1st and 6th Ekspeditsia. The earliest postal mark I know of with "Petrograd" from the main military PO in Petrograd (below). The first postal markings from the actual postal service (local or imperial) did not appear until November -- 23/111914 from the 70th Section being the earliest I have, but there are quite a few in December. The latest "St Petersburg" mark is from the 3rd section, dated 30/12/1914. Thus, it should be possible to find postal items with both "St Petersburg" and "Petrograd", just as one finds both "Petrograd" and "Leningrad" in the early 1920s. it is also not surprising that the first example of "Petrograd" should come from one of the newer offices. I don't have any information at to when the 70th office opened, but I didn't seen any mention of it in the Baillie and Peel Book. this suggests that it was opened after 1 September and should have only "Petrograd" markings, but that is a speculation.

MainMilitaryPostOffice.jpg - 282kB
howard
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 12/18/2012 at 10:31

According to the official newspaper Government Herald, the name change took place on 18 August (old style) = 31 Aug. (new style).

Go To Top