Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Yakutsk vs. Irkutsk
David Jay
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12/16/2012 at 18:39
Yakutsk vs. Irkutsk

Kiryushkin and Robinson mention in the catalog of Siberian cancels an odd one: Bodaybo, Yakutsk." showing a partial cancel. I believe that I now have that item -- it (or a very similar one) showed up recently on ebay. It is clearly "Yakut...", thus an error, for Irkutsk Province. I won't try to show this mark, as it is not easy to see in a scan -- a light gray cancel on a dark blue 7k stamp (horizontally laid paper with thunderbolts). it is impossible to say what kind of cancel this one is, other than it is a single circle type, and no part of the date is visible.

In the same Uezd (Kirensk) as Bodaybo is Vorotsovskaya Pristan. Shown below is a cancel on a 1K (also horizontally laid paper with thunderbolts), dated 6/4/1904 on an X-date cancel. The cancel is very clear, and once again, the province is Yakutsk Gubernia, though only the initial "Ya" and a bit of the "k" made it onto the letter. I have no other X-date cancels for this Uezd, but one wonders whether all X-date cancels from this Uezd were made incorrectly. Given the location, it does not seem likely that either location was ever actually in Yakutia. Pretty clearly, this is an error make in one of the workshops that made cancels, likely a long way from these post offices. Similar errors are known for Central Asian offices abroad -- marks that place them in Russia.

VorontsovskayaPristan.jpg - 51kB
howard
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 2/6/2013 at 15:28

Provincial and territorial names on postmarks indicated the province or territory whose postal authorities supervised the office named on the postmark. Occasionally, this was different from the province or territory in which the post office was actually located. So either Bodaibo and Vorontsovskaya Pristan were under the supervision of the Yakutsk territorial authorities for a while, or the postmarks were made in error. Interestingly, in the official 1902 post office list, Bodaibo is listed as being supervised by Yakutsk, not Irkutsk. The reverse is true in the 1893 and 1907 lists. Both places were physically in Irkutsk province.

Go To Top