Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Another mute cancel puzzle
David Jay
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2/21/2013 at 01:18
Another mute cancel puzzle

This card was sent 29/8/1914 (in the middle of the mute cancel period) from Seswegen to Riga, and forwarded, apparently, within Riga. I think it is to a credit union. The back is in Latvian, but does show the date and point of origin. There is also a cachet on the back applied by the recipient. There are three unusual features, and I bought it precisely because it is puzzling. The three odd features are:

1) it is franked at 5k not 4k; 5k would be the right rate for a registered postcard sent locally, but this was intercity.

2) the red "Iz' Yashchika" cachet should indicate that the card was treated as registered, but taken from the box, not submitted at the post office. There is no indication that this was intended by sender, other than the incorrect 5k rate.
But perhaps that is how the post office interpreted the franking.

3) then there is the letter/number at upper left. It is not in the ink of the person who wrote the card. it could have been applied at the Seswegen PO in lieu of a registration cachet.

The only other interpretation I can think of, aside from the idea that is a very weird registered post card, is that the "Iz' Yashchika" was applied as a mute receiver. This is not outlandish -- many marks having nothing directly to do with cancellation were used in this fashion. The problem with that idea is that Riga produced a lot of mute cancels -- it has many of the more commonly seen mute cancels -- but no one lists this mark as one of them. Nor is it known, as far as I can see, from any other location.

I might add that this item came from one of our distinguished members, and I did examine it microscopically -- no evidence that it is a laser print-off.

thoughts on this item are welcome.

Sesvegen_card_low.jpg - 274kB
howard
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 2/21/2013 at 12:24

In August 1914 the postcard rate was 3 kop. for both intercity and local, and the registration fee was 7 kop. So 5 kop. on the card does not make any sense. Are you sure this was not mailed in August 1917? At that time the postcard rate was 5 kop. Could you post the back side scan?
David Jay
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 2/22/2013 at 12:46

I'll post the back side, but there is both a hand-written date and a business cachet,
so it is 1914
David Jay
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 2/23/2013 at 02:18
Here is the back

The card was written 29/8 and received 4/9/1914

Sesvegen_card_back_low.jpg - 169kB
Alep
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 2/28/2013 at 07:29

The "Iz Yashchika" cachet is not necessarily connected with registered mail. It was applied also when the address was wrong as in this case. Thus, having been received at the original address (striken out), the card was readdressed, put in mailbox in Riga, then taken out and delivered to the new address with the cachet applied onto it.
David Jay
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 3/5/2013 at 00:32

Thanks!

Go To Top