Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Twice censored in Samara
241264hsv-fan
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5/31/2013 at 06:15
Twice censored in Samara

I have a question for a triple censored letter from Samara to Bern / Switzerland. There are two censormarks from Samara: "Approved by the military censor - Military Censor in Samara - Captain Solowjewits" + "Opened by military censor - SAMARA - Military Censor - Councillor W. N. Elkin". After forwarding the letter was once again censored in Petrograd.
My question: happened it more often that letters were censored by two People within a city? Does anyone have other examples? What was the reason for this procedure? Who's controlling whom?

Zensurbrief 1 a 001.jpg - 415kB Zensurbrief 1 b 001.jpg - 149kB Zensurbrief 1 c 001.jpg - 274kB Zensurbrief 1 d 001.jpg - 232kB
Lescol
Collective Farmer

[*] posted on 3/24/2015 at 05:23

I have a number of covers showing double censoring within the same office most of those involve Petrograd, this would for operational reasons not be unexpected as any manager in an organisation has the need to check on the work carried out by personnel. As this is a registered letter additional checks would be have been required, equally letters singled out for additional scrutiny in larger offices would be passed up the line of command and may or may not have received an additional mark. Samara was one of those larger censoring offices. From what I have read the censoring regulations were not always adhered to nor were they prescriptive. However a very nice cover and with a destination to a woman in Switzerland would in itself have attracted close attention.

Go To Top