Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A curious item
David Jay
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3/19/2016 at 00:14
A curious item

This item puzzles in several ways. For a start, there are no Russian cancels at all -- just a series of German cancels that I can't figure out.
I see "...AMT", which might be "Postamt" or "Zollamt"but the rest is illegible. It seems likely that the item dates from 1909, from the mix of issues in the stamps, with the 7k being issued in 1909, and the 3k invalid after 1909. But why is a small envelope like this franked with 30k? Further, it looks like another stamp has been removed top right, but why would it have been there in the first place? Also, the destination is a puzzle. Parchau is on the Elbe, but Liegnitz is east of the Oder. Finally, there are no arrival cancels (the flap is missing), so it is not certain that the envelope was ever sent. But if it wasn't, why was the flap torn off, and why is it so worn? And who would waste 30k on an envelope not sent? One can fantasize that it was posted shipboard, but I was unable to find the coat of arms on line Any thoughts would be welcome.

Very_odd.jpg - 128kB
jlechtanski

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 3/28/2016 at 22:16

I would say wrong Parchau.

There was a Silesian Parchau (now Parchowo) not far from Liegnitz (now Legnica).

The last line looks like an abbreviated Regierungsbezirk Liegnitz which was the old administrative district which administered that part of Silesia until 1945.

Map showing Parchau in relation to Liegnitz here:
http://www.lueben-damals.de/kreis/kreis_gr.html
stamplover
Administrator

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 3/31/2016 at 13:48

Couple of comments. First, by 1909 Germany discontinued the use of arrival postmarks on regular mail. Second, the 3 kop. stamp might have been devalued in 1909, but still happily paid postage for a postcard (eBay 361304024693) and a 5 kop. stamp from the same issue paid postage in 1910 (eBay 401026271566). Third, is it possible that the cover had inside something heavy, but not valuable enough to use registration?
stamplover
Administrator

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 3/31/2016 at 13:48

Couple of comments. First, by 1909 Germany discontinued the use of arrival postmarks on regular mail. Second, the 3 kop. stamp might have been devalued in 1909, but still happily paid postage for a postcard (eBay 361304024693) and a 5 kop. stamp from the same issue paid postage in 1910 (eBay 401026271566). Third, is it possible that the cover had inside something heavy, but not valuable enough to use registration?
David Jay
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4/4/2016 at 00:42

Thanks for the interpretation of the German-language postmarks, and the location identification. And yes, the previous vertically-laid
paper issue was good for all values in 1909, despite issuance of most stamps. They became invalid
in 1910, except for a few values like the 5k that were not replaced until later. So all the stamps
were valid, assuming this was posted in 1909. There is still the possibility that a stamp was removed,
but I'm inclined to think that, if this occurred, it was by the sender, before the letter was sent.

Go To Top