Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Straight-line Post Station Mark
David Jay
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4/19/2016 at 00:19
Straight-line Post Station Mark

This letter was 23/8/1871 from St Petersburg to Borisoglivskaya Sloboda, Rostov Gubernia and Uezd. The curious thing about this straight-line (two-line) mark, and something I've never seen before is how the word "Sloboda" (abbreviated "Sl") was accommodated above the line of the rest of the letters. The two-line PS marks are famously crudely made with various odd substitutions when the maker ran out of type, but I've never seen the like. The St Petersburg Central Otd (hour 8) mark is also rather scarce, I think

BorisoglivskayaSloboda_front.jpg - 329kBBorisoglivskayaSloboda_mark.jpg - 96kB
IvoSteijn
Major Philatelist

Mood: philatelic

[*] posted on 4/20/2016 at 22:10

Interesting! Also interesting that there's a spelling error in the postmark: BorisoglebskIya Sloboda instead of BorisoglebskAya. I'm the last person who should opine on Russian grammar, but I think the -iya ending was old-fashioned feminine plural. Maybe it was Borisoglebskiya Slobody?
howard
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 4/21/2016 at 08:51

What happened here is a partial double strike of the two line postmark. The letters sl appear at the end of line one and again above line 1 and shifted to the left. On the second line, 1g appears at the end, and also above the second line and shifted to the left.

Go To Top