Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Scott-Gibbons Cross Reference
BL53931
Collective Farmer

[*] posted on 6/21/2016 at 19:03
Scott-Gibbons Cross Reference

Is there anywhere in existence a cross reference between Scott and Gibbons Russia numbers? I am remounting my Russia in the 'Ruskystamps' album and have run into a problem figuring out where to place some of the definitive issues from the mid 1920's.

For example I have the four stamp imperf set Scott 273-5A. It looks as if Gibbons treats this as part of a larger series.

Any help appreciated.
Jeff
Super Administrator

Mood: It's developing...

[*] posted on 6/29/2016 at 20:25

Many decades ago I created a cross reference for Scott and Michel for Russia. The trick is that you have to pick one as master, and Michel (in this case) was much more detailed than Scott, so it became the master. It appears that your album is based on Gibbons, so I recommend you start to create your own cross-reference and use Gibbons as the master. I've done an Internet search on your request and there are a lot of potential links for cross references for Scott, Michel, Gibbons, etc. but the few I clicked on were outdated and no longer valid.
Jeff
Super Administrator

Mood: It's developing...

[*] posted on 6/30/2016 at 06:44

And yes, it appears that Scott 273-5A are reflected as Types 90-92 in Gibbons, or Gibbons #s 346, 347, 351, and 354. Note that 351, and 354 have varieties.
stamplover
Administrator

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 8/4/2016 at 10:27

Since stamps per se are government-issued documents, their reproductions are NOT copyrighted. However the NUMBERING of stamps in any catalog is copyrighted, and owners (Michel, Scott, Gibbons, etc.) do not allow public display of such cross-reference tables. Any table with cross-reference can be created only if you offer corresponding stamps for sale, then it is legal. Of course, nobody can prevent you from creating such a table for your own perusal.
stamplover
Administrator

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 8/4/2016 at 10:28

Since stamps per se are government-issued documents, their reproductions are NOT copyrighted. However the NUMBERING of stamps in any catalog is copyrighted, and owners (Michel, Scott, Gibbons, etc.) do not allow public display of such cross-reference tables. Any table with cross-reference can be created only if you offer corresponding stamps for sale, then it is legal. Of course, nobody can prevent you from creating such a table for your own perusal.
ruskystamps
Peasant

Mood: Always half-full

[*] posted on 4/8/2017 at 03:37

Hi BL53931

I'm the designer and publisher of the ruskystamps Russia stamp album pages (just retired from my 'proper job', so more time now!) and have the excellent Gibbons Russia Part 10 catalogue (by far the best in my opinion!) and also a whole set of Scott catalogues. If you let me have details of any stamps you need cross identifying, I can probably help.

I appreciate its not easy because Gibbons, Scott and Michel catalogues all treat issues differently, especially Charity and other BOB stamps. IMHO I think Gibbons approaches this in the most logical and aesthetically pleasing way.

Regards
David Farndale
www.ruskystamps.com

Quote: Originally posted by BL53931  
Is there anywhere in existence a cross reference between Scott and Gibbons Russia numbers? I am remounting my Russia in the 'Ruskystamps' album and have run into a problem figuring out where to place some of the definitive issues from the mid 1920's.

For example I have the four stamp imperf set Scott 273-5A. It looks as if Gibbons treats this as part of a larger series.

Any help appreciated.

Publisher of www.ruskystamps.com illustrated stamp album pages - collector of Russian stamps 1858-1991. Based in UK - now retired with more time!

Go To Top