The Samovar
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A Moscow temporary office(?)
David Jay
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8/30/2016 at 01:02
A Moscow temporary office(?)

This card was sent (based on the message on the reverse) from a stop on TPO 64/5 (Samara-Ryazhsk early 19/7/1895) to Moskva, Petrovsko-Rozemovskoe PO (X-date cancel 21/7/1895) Moskovsk G. There is a routing mark from the 2nd Moskva Gorod office, also 21/7/1895. While the cancel is a bit light, the neatly written address confirms the identification of the office. One curious point is that "here" has been crossed out and replaced by "Moskva". The whole front seems to be in the same hand, but not necessarily written at the same time. What I think happened is this. Someone I will call "mom" neatly wrote the address on the card, expecting that "son" would write a message, so that the card could be sent before leaving Moskva. Son didn't get around to writing the card until 0630 ("half seven" in German) at a stop on the train. The message is puerile, sloppily written, and not in idiomatic German (according to my wife, who would know), suggesting that son is a teenager writing in a language that is not his native one.

The receiving office has not, so far as I can see, been previously recorded. It is not in the 1916 PO list, and it not listed in the K&R compilation. Stylistically, it bears a resemblance to the mark shown on p. 142 of Rossica 108-109 (part IV of Dave Skipton's terrific series on the Seasonal Post Offices) for Masilovo, Moskovsk G. that mark has a messed up date It is interesting that it says "P.O." not "VR. P.O." However, quite a few seasonal offices do not indicate their status fully. Google maps indicates that it was on the north side of the city, on a modern subway line inside the outer ring road.

Any information regarding other correspondence from/to this office would be appreciated.

Petrovsko-Razimovskoe_small.jpg - 320kB
howard
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 9/7/2016 at 10:54

The almanac Vsia Moskva for 1897 lists Petrovsko-Razumovskoye as a Moscow city postal branch office (gorodsk. p. o.). There is no indication that it was open only in the summer. There was, however, a telegraph office there that was summertime only. Many dachas were in the vicinity.
vasia
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9/10/2016 at 00:45

The 1916 "СПИСОКЪ" lists Petrovsko-Razumovskoye as a "CT" (stantsiya)

Go To Top