Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Yellow varnish lines
davpot
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood.

hairpull.gif posted on 11/1/2016 at 14:18
Yellow varnish lines

Hi All! (Referring to the 1918 Chainbreaker series)
Just wondering what anyones opinion is about "yellow varnish lines"...Are they stark...do their intensities vary? Is this do to aging or the actual color of the varnish?
A tip of the Hat to all!!😂
Davpot::hoho
David Jay
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11/5/2016 at 15:11

I haven't studied this issue, but the varnish marks on the 1909-1922 arms issue are highly variable, from apparently absent to obvious, ugly, and yellow. It may that they are affected by exposure to light, or can be brought out chemically. Incidentally -- we should talk. You are in Cornelius, and I am in Hillsboro (actually 10 miles south of Hillsboro), off the road up to Bald Peak.
cec71
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11/16/2016 at 11:22

There was an excellent article either in Rossica or the Post Rider on varnish lines. Unable to find it at present. If you look at the varnish lines on early printings they had very fine, clear lines. As time progressed and I assume the roller that applied them became worn they became thicker and thicker. As noted they may be absent, on the gum side or both sides of the stamps. I have examples of each. Several catalogues note specifically yellow and blue varnish lines. I have several yellow on the 7K Scott #178. Whether these are artifactual or not I do not know. Also have seen many stamps with very obvious varnish lines visible to the unaided eye. Many of these stamps appear to be damaged.
davpot
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 4/12/2017 at 13:00

Thanks All...Cec and Dave...in the meantime I came across some chainbreakers with Decidedly visable yellow to Almost Brownish varnish lines...whether due to aging, I cannot tell. In ceresa's book I read that the Cream paper exists as well. these issues can sure be a challenge at this Distan:hairce in time! 100 yrs on:hop
dave

Go To Top