Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A Zemstvo money letter
David Jay
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1/18/2017 at 01:52
A Zemstvo money letter

This is very much NOT my area, but I ran across this 13/8/1899 7R money letter sent from Umet' Zemsk. Poch. (umlaut on the "e" -- didn't know Russian went in for umlauts), Kirsanov Uezd, Tambov Province to St Petersburg. The present transliteration on Wikipeida is "Umyot". The small waxseals at the corners says Kirsanovka Pochta Zemskaya, while the central seal comes from the main Kirsanov PTK. There is no zemstvo postmark, and no stamp because it is a money letter. Someone knowledgeable about zemstvo issues will know whether Kirsanov ever issued stamps. One interesting thing about this item is that it seems not have been sealed until it reached Kirsanov. How was the cash secured between its origin and Kirsanov, other than being in a postillion's bag, perhaps it was inside a package?

Umyot_back_small.jpg - 174kB
David Jay
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1/18/2017 at 01:53
the front

Here is the front of the letter

Umyot_front.jpg - 170kB
verny
Major Philatelist

Mood: Bright & breezy

[*] posted on 1/22/2017 at 18:05

Interesting that you posted this up, I have a collection of money letters as yet not written up and have recently been excercising my mind trying to find out about a similar Zemstva money letter - no stamps, Zemstvo seals in the corners and main PO in the centre. I cannot seem to find anything in the literature I have so far examined.

Go To Top