Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Postcard 1904 Russia to Greece, P.O. in China
Adrian Ritoridis
Collective Farmer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4/16/2017 at 13:50
Postcard 1904 Russia to Greece, P.O. in China

Hello,

I attach some images of a postcard addressed to the Ionian Bank of Greece on Corfu. I cannot make sense of hardly any of the postal history to it and I could do with some help please.

The place and date in the top right seem to be Naples, 23 July (VII) 1904. However, the Chinese stamp appears to be tied by a Shanghai cds with date 26 June 04. The Russian stamp with the overprint for use in China puzzles me, and I cannot make out the postmark. Is there a correct postage here? Is there any correlation between the two postmarks?

I suspect it's philatelic but the addressee (someone in the Ionian Bank) makes me wonder.

If any fellow collectors can help I would be grateful.

With thanks,

Adrian

Adrian Ritoridis
Collective Farmer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4/16/2017 at 13:58
Postcard 1904 Russia to Greece, P.O. in China

Picture2.jpg - 109kB Picture1.jpg - 148kB
IvoSteijn
Major Philatelist

Mood: philatelic

[*] posted on 4/16/2017 at 14:03

Hi Adrian,
The postmark tying the Russian China stamp appears to be either Shanghai or Chifu, with Shanghai more likely. The other stamp seems to be a stamp of the Japanese post offices in China, tied by a postmark of the Japanese office in Shanghai. Since the card depicts a scene from the Russo-Japanese war I suspect it's a philatelic souvenir with a R-J War theme. I don't think it went through the mail, except perhaps enclosed in an envelope. But this area is not my strong suit at all, so take this as a best guess only!

Go To Top