Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 4k rose with curious background
jimjamtwo
Collective Farmer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4/27/2017 at 22:20
4k rose with curious background

Can anyone tell me what's gone wrong with the background on this 4k definitive (vertically laid paper)? Is it inverted? Inverted and reversed? Shifted sideways? I have no idea what's happened.

The stumbling block for me is that the SW and SE corners are not symmetrical. There is a simple dot or polka dot design present in the SW corner (and in much of the left margin) that is not seen on the other side of the stamp.

What the SW corner suggests is that the network has been shifted down and to the left. But I can't see equivalent displacement in any of the other three corners. For example, the SE corner should show also the pattern shifted down and to the left, but I cannot see that it does.

4k.jpg - 430kB

Thanks for looking!
David Jay
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 5/6/2017 at 01:06

The very most lower left part is symmetric with the lower right. It is not inverted background -- the two internal dots in each rhomboid are centered low -- but much of the left side of the grid is messed up. Also, the horizontal line inside the design are shifted left. I can't give you an explanation of how this happened. Only perhaps, there was damage to the plate that printed the background, and this rather crude "fix" was adopted. From the look of it, this should be a variety this is repeated.
nik

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 7/23/2017 at 09:43

It looks to me like the red design overlaying the background is misaligned. It shifted quite a bit. Needs to go down and to the left.
GregMirsky
Rossica Librarian

Mood: Still Optimistic...

[*] posted on 7/24/2017 at 00:36

Shifted background it is. It is quite common.
David Jay
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 7/24/2017 at 11:39

Yes, Greg is correct. The background is shifted, but pretty severely. At the bottom left and bottom
middle, just shifting the background up about 1-2 mm and right maybe 1 mm aligns the diamonds with two dots in the center correctly around the center. The 4 dot diamond pattern seen along the left margin is meant to be under the central ornament, so that part of the background is also shifted left. The central "keyhole" of the foreground should have no dots behind it. But right of "Kop" at bottom and right of the "4" there are dots in the keyhole. So this part is also shifted left. Whether there are any distortions or repairs involved is hard to say.

Go To Top