Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Late Soviet usages of "Removed from the Box"
David Jay
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11/17/2017 at 01:48
Late Soviet usages of "Removed from the Box"

Skipton, Kolchinsky and Volis have a very interesting article on the use of the various "Extracted from the Box" marks, used in the Soviet period as part of the censorship process, not censor marks them selves, but still part of the process, presumably indicating the results of tailing a suspicious person to a mail box and retrieving their mail. This NKVD usage of such marks did not exclude legit uses of registered letters taken from the mailbox, for which I have 4 examples from 1926 to 1950. I have an example from Moscow (31/3/1947), sealed with censor tape and tied with a Moscou P4 mark of ill repute. I will try to post that tomorrow.

For tonight, here is a curiousity -- a 9/2/1967 local letter mailed in Riga, definitely not registered. It collected a series of postmarks, the latest being 1/2/1967 -- so almost a month to move within Riga. There is the possibility that the card was delivered to the wrong address and then re-mailed (another legit circumstance leading to these marks), but there is no change of address indicated, so it is not simply a poorly addressed item. I will those more expert than I interpret this, but it is the latest example of such a mark that I have seen.

IzYashika_1967_front_low.jpg - 180kBIzYashika_1967_back_small.jpg - 252kB
David Jay
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11/17/2017 at 11:00

Sorry, the latest date should have been 1/3/1967

Go To Top