Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Unknown RIGA postmark 1890
RWR
Collective Farmer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11/1/2018 at 10:37
Unknown RIGA postmark 1890

Hi @ll! I'd like to ask for a little help with a special postmark I've found on a stationery card sent June 29, 1890, from Kovno via Riga to Dubbeln in Livonia.
The first four letters read Р.Г.П.К. which I can transcribe as Рижкскую Гуъернскую Почтовую Контору (i.e. Riga Provincial Post Office or Riga City Post Office Bureau). The letters in the second row (except the number 30) I can't read nor classify.
Question: Does anybody here know this special (transit?) postmark from Riga and can help me with the inscription and/or it's purpose of use? Any hint will be appreciated! Ralf

1890-06-29-psc-riga-cance-det.jpg - 110kB 1890-06-29-psc-riga-cancel.jpeg - 321kB
IvoSteijn
Major Philatelist

Mood: philatelic

[*] posted on 11/2/2018 at 18:38

I think it actually stands for Riga TOWN (Gorodskaya) Post Office. The second line is a time indication - my guess would be 2 ch. 30 m. d. or 2:30 in the afternoon. The address is actually "Riga, via Dubbeln" so the Riga Town Post was responsible for delivering the card.
RWR
Collective Farmer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11/3/2018 at 07:01

Dear Ivo, thank you very much for your fast and comprehensive answer. So it's a delivery marking of the Riga Town Post office . Great! :)
Google translator told me to write В очередной раз благодарим за помощь! Hope that's correct. Ralf

Go To Top