Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The mystery of the Lubyany post-telegraph office
togson
Peasant

[*] posted on 1/26/2019 at 17:26
The mystery of the Lubyany post-telegraph office

Dear forum users. I am a collector of the postal history of Kazan province. And I got a very curious cover. Postmarks shows that it was sent in August 1901 from Lubyany post-telegraph department of the Kazan province to Odessa. It seems to be ordinary money letter. But the wax seals is extremely entertaining. Central - "Lubyany Kazan", and those around the edges - "Lubyany Vyat." (Vyatka province) But the post-telegraph office could not be located in two provinces at the same time. Accordingly, it can be assumed that there was some administrative-territorial change in the boundaries between Kazan and Vyatka provinces. I did not find any information about this in Kazan Province. in the 19-20th centuries, in the Russian Empire, unlike the USSR, there were very few changes in borders

And now, the actual questions.
How could the sealing waxes (which were put at one time) of two different provinces appear on the cover?
Have you ever met something similar in your collecting practice?
Maybe someone can explain this "phenomenon"?

1.jpg - 332kB

2 (1).jpg - 325kB

3.jpg - 421kB
togson
Peasant

[*] posted on 1/26/2019 at 17:29

I also attach scans of a cover sent from the same department, but in February 1901. All postal attributes of sending belongs exclusively to Vyatka province.

4.jpg - 433kB

5.jpg - 410kB
howard
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 1/28/2019 at 18:17

In the 1893 post office list, Lubyany is in Vyatka gubernia. In the 1907 list, Lubyany is in Kazan gubernia. The 1900 Vyatka gubernia almanac lists Lubyany, but the 1901 almanac does not. The 1900 Kazan gubernia almanac lists Lubyany. So one of two things happened. Either the postal supervision of Lubyany post office was transferred from Vyatka gubernia to Kazan gubernia, or (less likely) the border between the two gubernias was changed (Lubyany was close to the border). In either case, new postmarks and seals would be ordered. Clearly the small seal took longer to put into service than the large seal.
togson
Peasant

[*] posted on 1/29/2019 at 10:39

Thank you.
I am inclined to the first version. Thus, it turns out that geographically situated in the Kazan province, the Lubyany until 1901 was subordinated to the Vyatka postal authorities:o

Go To Top