Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Stamp Databases
GregMirsky
Rossica Librarian

Mood: Still Optimistic...

[*] posted on 1/15/2004 at 14:24
Stamp Databases

I am starting thinking about creating inventory of my collection (long overdue) in some sort of the database. I know that some people using text files or Word documents, others - Excel spreadsheets. There are also multiple vendors offering Stamp Databases that allow you to enter your stamps, etc. I am wondering what people using and if anybody can recommend me something.
oldteddy
Major Philatelist

Mood: Perplexed

[*] posted on 1/15/2004 at 16:55
MS ACCESS

I'm using MS ACCESS for all my inventories, want lists etc., unless person (or persons) with whom I communicate and to whom I want to pass information can't use it. I found it the most flexible and convenient, it allows for queries, reports, modifications very easily. And it's a RELATIONAL DATABASE software, unlike WORD and EXCEL - which are not. To be sure ACCESS is not the best DATABASE package in the world, but it's widely accepted, I could send my database or part of it to different people in the world and they can read it - if they have that software on their computers, of course, but it's a part of a standard package many people have on their machines. Of course one needs to invest some time in learning how to use it, so many people just use what they KNOW - Word, Excel etc. But being able to compare I vote for ACCESS - it's a powerful database package.
iceserpent
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 1/15/2004 at 20:00

For something as long-term as this, I'd use something that can export data in a standard format (as in "any open standard";) just to make sure I can always access data. So far Open Office spreadsheet works for me (I don't run windows, so can't comment on MS Access features).
oldteddy
Major Philatelist

Mood: Perplexed

[*] posted on 1/15/2004 at 22:41
ACCESS again

ACCESS alows export into Excel, Word, HTML, TXT, PARADOX, Lotus 1-2-3, CSV, dBASE and MANY other formats.
MICHAEL MACKENZIE
Major Philatelist

Mood: Ok

[*] posted on 1/16/2004 at 01:00

Greg,
There are a lot of questions that you might want to consider before choosing (a) software packages.

Such as:
What software are you familiar with?

What software are you comfortable with?

Do you plan on including images?

Do you want to take a month or more just to learn how to use a new software package and not even know if your going to like it after you learn it?

Software that works well for one person isn't necessarily going to work well for you.

Personally, I use MSExcel, MSWord, Quattro Pro, and Word Perfect 11. Each have certain characteristics that I like. I compile everything including images in Adobe (which has a fully searchable index) and save to my hard disk and DVD.(Adobe reader gets saved as well so I have no problem taking it to another computer.)

Many of the commercial softwares have a "Try it, Buy it" deal and none of them suited my needs.
:)
GregMirsky
Rossica Librarian

Mood: Still Optimistic...

[*] posted on 1/16/2004 at 16:51

Thank you everybody for responding. Let me clarify my question. I am familiar with all of the above software packages and tools, since I am writing software for living and at the end of the day - I can spend time and write my own application based on Access, Excel, SQL Server or anything else. This is not an issue. The real question is - is there any application with already build screens and database support that people using to inventory their collections. There are tons of vendors out there. Some of them using Access database underneath, others - XML files, proprietary file formats, etc. Google gives me 259,000 references on "stamp database software" query. Is anybody using this stuff and happy with it?

Go To Top