Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Brender Cover Inserts Found
jlechtanski

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 7/8/2004 at 10:57
Brender Cover Inserts Found

I have three Dr. M. Brender covers with enclosures. They are all addressed to the Yorckstrasse 84 address. It appears that mail forwarding was at least one of Dr. Brenderís services. I have tried to translate the information as best I can using a Russian dictionary. Perhaps someone would kindly translate the slips for us.

The first cover is a Brender printed envelope registered from Kharkhov, postmarked Apr 1922 with 60,000 rubles in postage. It enclosed a single-sided slip.

The slip indicates that the letter comes from the Berlin Bureau of the Scandinavian Jewish Central Aid Committee. It says you can respond to the letter through the same Bureau if you enclose it in an envelope addressed to the recipient in Latin characters without postage. This envelope must then be placed in another envelope addressed to Dr. M. Brender. Postage must be paid on this envelope from Russia to Berlin.

It then goes on to say that if you are responding to the letter you should note the printed letter number, in this case 14014, on the envelope or on a separate piece of paper. The Brender envelope that enclosed the slip, although it does not have the number printed on the front, has the number 55351 printed in green on the back.

The second cover is also a Brender printed envelope registered from Odessa, postmarked 22 Dec 1929 with 200 rubles in postage. It enclosed a two-sided slip.

It uses almost the same text to indicate how to respond to the letter as the first letter with some additional information on registration.

For registration of the enclosed letter you fill out the back of the slip with the letter number, the recipientís address and the senders address in Russia. The filled-in slip shows that these addresses were in Cyrillic in this case. I note the number 31591 stamped on the obverse was hand-written on the reverse.

I also note that this number differs from the number 31691 printed on the front of the Brender envelope in which it was found.

According to the handwritten information, the letter was to go to the Bessarabian town of Novaya Kiliya in Romania, (Romanian Chilia-Nouă;) which is now Kiliya in the Ukraine. Was the fact that Russia never recognized the Romanian acquisition of Bessarabia between 1918 and 1940, the reason that Dr. Brenderís service was required?

The third cover is a handwritten (not a Brender printed envelope) from Moscow, postmarked 16 Nov 1922 with 50 rubles in postage with a ďTĒ indicating postage due. It encloses a handwritten slip in German dated 14 Nov 1922 with the letter number 27862.

Images will follow.
jlechtanski

[*] posted on 7/8/2004 at 10:59

Obverse of Two-Sided Insert
jlechtanski

[*] posted on 7/8/2004 at 11:01

Reverse of Two-Sided Insert
jlechtanski

[*] posted on 7/8/2004 at 11:02

Handwritten Insert

I hope this has been of some help in solving the mystery or Dr. Bender.

Regards

John
Gary
Deceased

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7/8/2004 at 16:52

Good stuff!
Andrey
Major Philatelist

Mood: What is Mood?

[*] posted on 7/8/2004 at 20:13

Unique philatelic item and real postal history.

:o
Jeff
Super Administrator

Mood: It's developing...

[*] posted on 7/8/2004 at 21:30
great stuff!

:D

MICHAEL MACKENZIE
Major Philatelist

Mood: Ok

[*] posted on 7/9/2004 at 19:51
You call that enthusiasm?

Geeze guys,
I seem to remember that there were a lot of our fellow members who asked a lot of questions concerning these covers.
Looks like a few of them just got answered.
I would say: "Thank you for the information!", if I had asked any of those questions. What the heck,
THANK YOU!!!:)

Go To Top